High torque mini-starter

70NPORT

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I think the ol' girl's starter motor is about to go AWOL, not sounding like it should when it cranks....I've had and cranked enough mopars to know when something sounds wrong, lol. I think this might be the original starter the car was born with, I dunno for sure. So anyways a great excuse to switch to a high torque mini stater....should flip my 383 over real fast and easy. I can't believe the size difference, I could throw this thing throw a window like a baseball. The stock starter weighs like a goddamn ton compared to the mini. Got some other things going on so she's down and out for awhile.

IMG_9203.jpgIMG_9205.jpg

IMG_9203.jpg

IMG_9205.jpg

Good deal! Need to get one for my small block as it seems to be getting very weak lately... Guess the only down side will be the sound.. As you know, the old gear reduction starters sound great. Anything else planned for the ol' girl?

Good deal! Need to get one for my small block as it seems to be getting very weak lately... Guess the only down side will be the sound.. As you know, the old gear reduction starters sound great. Anything else planned for the ol' girl?

Yup, I know that sound all too well....grew up with it. I've been told a few times the mini-starter sounds like the standard one on steroids....we'll see. The true test will come when it's 90-95 degrees outside......thinking about picking a heat shield or blanket for it.

I think I floated a lifter on the pass side, I can hear it sometimes chatting around in there so it and the rest are coming out for a set of new ones, I'm replacing all of them. I've got my eye out for a decent pair of big block c body hi-flow manifolds. The pass side is leaking a bit in the rear....figured I might as well swap both if I have to try and fix the one....I'm gonna be there anyway so what the hell.

I've been running junkyard Mini-starters for years. Never had a problem with one. Usually pay about $25 for them. Grab one from a V6 or V8 magnum motor and your golden.

I've been running junkyard Mini-starters for years. Never had a problem with one. Usually pay about $25 for them. Grab one from a V6 or V8 magnum motor and your golden.

Yur a lucky dog....all the junk yards around these parts only have....junk,lol. I probably could have found one but I figured Id flip for a new one.

I'll prpbably get one next time I'm hunting around in a junkyard as a spare.

Yeah, this one that's coming off will go to the "spares" pile too. I'll have a back up for the back up....lol.

Makes it easier to get in and out around the exhaust pipe.

I usually keep an eye on open...and if I see one that looks like it has been replaced lately I'll grab it. And your right....it's always good to have a spare, or two, or three... ;)

Try bench starting them to make sure they work and the bendix kicks out properly.

One of the ones I have is severely burnt so that one will be the 3rd -4th pick should something happen -- but I'm hoping not. These mini-starters appear to be wolves in sheep clothing insofar as cranking power. I was looking at a few on yutube last night...wow.

It goes against all common sense that they're way superior to those massive hunks of iron that the cars came with but they really are.

<Sent from my A110 using Forum Runner>

Yeah I still can't get over the weight difference....the mini is so light compared to the standard starter.....its almost unbelievable.

I havent had to swap a starter in 10 years......i dont need that many spares

You got better luck then me. I went through a couple in my Imperial. Luckily I did not get stranded either time.

Back