Holley Retrobrights by Morimoto

The_Eagles’_Nest

Reaction score
I’m skeptical of LED retrofits where they were not originally designed or intended to go. I was intrigued when Holley came out with their Retrobright headlamps. I tried them on my Valiant and they are like a match vs a flamethrower.

I was so impressed with the difference between them and the old sealed beam that I ordered them for the Imperial as well. I got the high beams today and had to get them in. Low beams to come soon.

I just want to post the results and share. I will recommend them to anyone who asks.

First photo is the LED on the driver side and sealed beam on the passenger side.

Second photo is with them both in.

Third photo is stock GE low beams with LED high beams.

AAAA49E6-A3D7-45C4-962F-EAD847AA49B1.jpeg

792F0F6B-2870-4CA8-9AB8-7C2AE8FAAE2C.jpeg

6F324BC9-2D56-4629-B33E-EB1DA05B62EC.jpeg

What beam pattern against a flat wall?

Now, consider that YOU are looking at them from the backside of things, THEN consider what an on-coming driver sees looking into them from his side of things. DO make sure you get them aimed correctly.

On the lh side of the car, in driving down a dark road, do the lh lateral aim so that the lh side of the lh low beam hits the lane markings and no farther left. Then aim the rh side low beam just a tad rh of parallel to the lh beam.

As for height on low beam, seek a beam height that is pretty much flat, but heads down about 1-2 degrees from horizontal.

This is how I have the E-code Cibies aimed on my '77 Camaro. No need for high beams, unless driving way too fast in the dark, usually. The E-code lights have a sharp upper beam cut-off, with a flare to the rh side of things to illuminate road and street signs. Even at normal intensity, it can take a bit of getting used to to adjust to that beam pattern, but once you get used to it, it works well. Even WITH normal-intensity bulbs.

So DO ensure the aim is good and not too high! Remember, too, that all of that light output can also end up reflecting into the eyes of drivers in front of you, via their outside and inside rear- view mirrors.

I'm not against powerful headlights, just that they can cause what I term, "High Contrast Lighting Situations", which CAN affect other drivers on the road and how THEY see after being such a lighting situation. Which CAN cause a bit of sudden, momentary reaction on their part. Been there, done that. Bilberry supplements can help with this, from my own experience.

In my daily-driver car, the inside rear-view mirror is at the same level as the headlights on Ford F-250 Super Duty pickups, AND a F-150 with a suspension lift. One night about a year or so ago, a local guy had a new F-150 with "white headlight bulbs" in all SIX headlights, which were all on when he drove up behind me. The light contrast situation happened, plus all of the crazy shadows as the light was deflected by my car. At a t-intersection, I had to concentrate on on-coming traffic before I could turn. NOT a good situation to be in!!! But from his side of things, he could see everything very well. All six lights were of equal intensity. Six? Yes, one of the newer Fords with 4 headlights + 2 fog lights below the bumper, factory location.

I'm glad you like the Retrobrights, just please make sure they are aimed for best effect. Personally, when I first heard of LED headlights, I was interested until I saw the price. I like my E-codes just fine.

Respectfully,
CBODY67

If I could take this car out for a ride and check aim, I would. The top end is apart. These are high beams so won’t be used unless there is no traffic.

Back