Holy Grail 1970 Dodge C-Body: ? What is it?

Fury Pursuit

Reaction score
I know many think for 1969, the CHP Polara is the "Holy Grail" of the Dodge C-body line.

What would the "Holy Grail" for the 1970 Dodge C-Body line be? By either production numbers or general popularity.

Perhaps a Monaco 500 Convertible 440 HP?

I'm not an expert with the Dodge line,...so your help is appreciated.

To me our member Mike from Nebraska may own it. 1970 polara convertible 440 in EV2 paint. I chose this only because it does exist.
I could create my own on paper but it is unlikely it exists.
Then again, Mike's EV2 doesn't have a console but it is the only one......great question.

Something tells me you have found something interesting

To me our member Mike from Nebraska may own it. 1970 polara convertible 440 in EV2 paint. I chose this only because it does exist.
I could create my own on paper but it is unlikely it exists.
Then again, Mike's EV2 doesn't have a console but it is the only one......great question.

Something tells me you have found something interesting

I didn't find anything yet,...just curious what members here think.

Production numbers for the 70 Dodge Polara Convertrible are 842 units. No engine break down. Obviously 440 HP cars are rare.

Monaco 500 Convertible production numbers are not known at this time. I suspect they are at least half of Polara production.

I vote for DP27 or DL27 440HP.

The production numbers and reports indicate no 440 HP were built

Don't necessarily believe it

I wonder if there is enough information around to do a write up on the Holy Grail cars of the fuselage era of each? Plymouth, Dodge and Chrysler for 1969 to 1973.

Its actually simple, the best performance oriented car in each line up. All holy grail Fuselage cars will have a 440, sure grip rear, bucket seats ( where available)

I didn't find anything yet,...just curious what members here think.

Production numbers for the 70 Dodge Polara Convertrible are 842 units. No engine break down. Obviously 440 HP cars are rare.

Monaco 500 Convertible production numbers are not known at this time. I suspect they are at least half of Polara production.

I vote for DP27 or DL27 440HP.

As far as I know there were no 70 Monaco ragtops. The following courtesy Kevin McCabe...

First this from KEVIN MCCABE
I thought in the interests of getting off my butt andchecking the production records, I should forward the following. It'staken from the 1970 "F" model official vehicle production programnumber 75, dated June 30,1970

842 built in total, all at Belvidere.

703 shown as U.S. Domestic built-up units
139 shown as U.S. plants built-up units for Canada,
3 Export-Import division built upunits. A note at the bottom of the page listing the 703 U.S. Domesticunits indicates these cars were included in that total, which means the U.S.actually got 700 of them.

Then this from Kevin re Canadian cars...
January 29, 2007
OK, I've finally made the long trek downstairsand grabbed just the CANADIAN option & accessory report for 1970.
This report is dated "August 70" (noday of the month) and indicates that 144 Polara convertibles were sold in Canada. So with Bill's report being from September, there's every possiblity thatit could be correct.
Here's some of the breakdowns from the report.

318 3spd on the column: 1
318auto 96
383-2vauto 41
440-4v auto 6
HDsuspension 30
Lightpackage 85
MaxCooling 1
Autopilot 3
DiscBrakes 50
Console 16
Super Lite 10
CorneringLights 9
Fender mtdt/signals 1
Power benchseat 2
Power bucketseat 3
Powerwindows 54
Power doorlocks 1
A.M.radio 123
AM/FMradio 1
AM/taperadio 16
Single rrspeaker 20
Dual rrspeakers 4
Tintedwindshield 40
All tintedglass 2
Rim blowwheel 16
Deluxew/covers 120
Deep dishw/covers 8

Finally you already have this for US cars....
1970 U.S. Polara Convertible Production& Options: Kevin McCabe
1970 U.S. Polara Convertible OptionInstallation Rates on Sold Cars as of August

U.S. sold 695
318 3spd on the column:Engine/Transmission breakdown is illegible.
318 177
383-2v 425
383-4V 19
440-4v 73
HD suspension 32
Light package 189
Max Cooling No listing
Auto pilot 68
Disc Brakes 152power 8manual
Console 84
Super Lite 29
Cornering Lights 94
Fender mtd t/signals No listing
Power bench seat 30
Power bucket seat 164
Power windows 140
Power door locks 35
A.M. radio 262
AM/FM radio 84
AM/tape radio 14
Single rr speaker 147
Dual rr speakers 52
Tinted windshield 189
All tinted glass 343
Rim blow wheel 78
Deluxe w/covers 544
Deep dish w/covers 31
Road wheels 91
Airconditioning 304
Power steering 689
Power brakes dum 447

Zone sales No U.S. breakdown

Colours
Light green metallic 85
Dark green metallic 61
Dark burnt orange 45
Beige 9
Light turquoise 25
Red 100
Burgundy 26
Tan metallic 8
Dark tan metallic 12
White 57
Black 9
Hemi orange 1
Top Banana 2
Cream 30
Light gold metallic 23
Gold metallic 34

Black conv. Top 353
White conv top 342

Bench seats
Blue 129
Green 183
Black 219
No other colours recorded

right .....
113633 2003 superlite.jpg

Johns car formerly Daves car formerly Richs car (who built it with a 71 Polara four door stub frame by the way) is what Fury Pursuit is dreaming of I suppose

Its actually simple, the best performance oriented car in each line up. All holy grail Fuselage cars will have a 440, sure grip rear, bucket seats ( where available)
Well yes but Id love to know production numbers in those categories too, give us an idea of the rarest of the rare. Sort of like the 70 Plymouth GT 6bbl being the rarest of all GT's. I've always wondered if there was something similar in the other lines that simply gets overlooked?

and Fred, while I do appreciate Kevins efforts in that list, unfortunately I have noted many errors over the last ten years since hes made that list.

I do still use it as base however ..........

Well yes but Id love to know production numbers in those categories too, give us an idea of the rarest of the rare. Sort of like the 70 Plymouth GT 6bbl being the rarest of all GT's. I've always wondered if there was something similar in the other lines that simply gets overlooked?

Problem there is, like it or not the 6 barrel is an option. If we went down that road we have to include all options wouldnt we?

Thanks Dave I appreciate the compliment on the V2 70 vert, still aquiring the parts to get that car back on the road. Pretty much have them all now but a nice nos trunk pan and front fenders.

I think the verts for 70 would definetly be the "holy grail" cars for the dodge C bodies. Let's not forget about the 69 polara verts for that year though. Hard to top a 375 horse drop top with a superlite that year too!

and Fred, while I do appreciate Kevins efforts in that list, unfortunately I have noted many errors over the last ten years since hes made that list.

I do still use it as base however ..........
If you have made note of the changes I'd be interested :D

Problem there is, like it or not the 6 barrel is an option. If we went down that road we have to include all options wouldn't we?
440 was an option, bucket seats were an option, sure grip was an option. All cars were optioned to what customers wanted. Point is, its only rare if they make small numbers of those types of cars, The GT numbers whatever the options, are rare, I am wondering about production numbers of other marques in the Chrysler Family. Namely Monaco coupes with a 440 that are comparable or Polara or ?

440 was an option, bucket seats were an option, sure grip was an option. All cars were optioned to what customers wanted. Point is, its only rare if they make small numbers of those types of cars, The GT numbers whatever the options, are rare, I am wondering about production numbers of other marques in the Chrysler Family. Namely Monaco coupes with a 440 that are comparable or Polara or ?

Here are a few options for you on a 70 :cool:

Ev2 tags.jpg

Back