Holy Rust!

GrandpasDream

Reaction score
See attached picture. I have an unGodly amount of rust that built up underneath the vinyl top. FOR. YEARS. I have grinded out rust from the pits as much as possible. I've spent hours and hours hitting this with a wire cup. I've gone through 7 wire wheel/cups and I am almost there.

I know some will say the roof needs to be cut out in parts where there are holes and as you can see there are many holes. I have used a POR-15 patch they make that is like the paint but comes in a tube goo that dries as hard as iron. I used this on parts of my floor of which was no wear near the severity of the roof. I am considering using the same thing for these areas but thought I'd ask all you experts. What do I do?? This is a huge setback.
ChryslerRust.jpg

I realize it's nearly to the point of roof transplant but I just so happen to be fresh out of 68' Newport fastback roofs at the moment :(

no fear my friend ! for we have gone before you, and done the same.

somewhere in this forum is my post where I did the roof with truck bed liner and por15 patch and putty. I based my posts off of a previous work by another forum member, and they actually chose to cover their (good) roof with pookey and not vinyl.

but ya- sand it down, por patch and putty up everything, then coat it with bedliner, and drive the wheels off it.

try not to die -

- saylor

The next step should be a scrubbing with phosphoric acid, like Rustoleum Rust Dissolve or similar to get rid of anything the wheel could not penetrate. If you are going to patch in with good metal, you will still need to fill and smooth it all out with a filler like All-Metal, which would be fine as long as you are replacing the vinyl roof. You still need to get that roof straight and smooth, or there will be dips and waves that will make you sea sick.

In the end you may find it far easier, and perhaps more economical with much better results by sourcing and then welding in an entire roof panel from a donor.

Wow, were you able to not warp the roof using a grinder like that? Although as stated above, it looks like the roof was so rusted, it's going have dips in it anyhow. All-Metal here you come.

The next step should be a scrubbing with phosphoric acid, like Rustoleum Rust Dissolve or similar to get rid of anything the wheel could not penetrate. If you are going to patch in with good metal, you will still need to fill and smooth it all out with a filler like All-Metal, which would be fine as long as you are replacing the vinyl roof. You still need to get that roof straight and smooth, or there will be dips and waves that will make you sea sick.

In the end you may find it far easier, and perhaps more economical with much better results by sourcing and then welding in an entire roof panel from a donor.

The other issue with a roof that is this badly rusted is that the structural integrity is seriously degraded. No body ever plans to put a vehicle on its top, but it can and does happen.

Dave

there was a member from bakersfield , ca with a 67 300 f/t for sale here , maybe he's willing to part the car . member were asking about parts pricing .

I don't care who you are. That roof cannot be returned to acceptable condition.
If you can't get another roof, it's a parts car.

I'd start with a couple treatments of rust convertor. Por15 just encapsulates the rust, i'm not a big fan of it. A rust convertor chemically reacts to stop the rust and convert it to carbon. Cut and weld holes, then use a metal impregnated filler to form a smooth surface. You'll have to put a new vinyl top on for it to look right though. You want paint.... you'll need a new roof.

Well, let's start with this. Are you restoring it to make a nice car or "just fixin'er up" as a fun daily driver?

We'll there's a fine line between the two right? I'm restoring her in honor of my Grandpa. This was his pride and joy. I want to be sure it looks right. I wish I knew how to weld because I would cut it out and patch it where it needs to be patched. I am going to put the vinyl top back on when the surface is suitable to do so. On a budget this is tough without knowing how to weld is tougher!

Oh I agree but that's just it, where to find a donor?

Back