Holy Rust!

Being somewhat structural you could go with 18 gauge which is harder to form into shapes but is easier to weld. Since the pieces are mostly flat it shouldn't be that hard. 22 gauge would be too thin for a roof, I personally would never use that gauge, and butt welding would be tough. You might find some 20 gauge on your car if you mic around different panels. Ford used 19 gauge throughout most of their cars in the 60s. I have a few flat patches on my Park Lane and I will use 18 gauge I have.

1 vote for 18 gauge. So we're thinkin 18-20 gauge?

The reason I made my suggestion is you'd be welding into thicker gauge metal if simply spanning the distance between roof rails, much easier for a novice. You can use thicker patches, but that only makes the welding harder and means nothing to structure.

For the same amount of time and or money you will end up spending in supplies, learning how to weld, buying the right tools and doing it a second time because of the learning curve, you could just buy a parts car like this and have the roof swapped in a weekend.

1967 Chrysler

For the same amount of time and or money you will end up spending in supplies, learning how to weld, buying the right tools and doing it a second time because of the learning curve, you could just buy a parts car like this and have the roof swapped in a weekend.

1967 Chrysler

Whoa! that is right here near me. Thanks for this. I wonder if they'd be willing to just part with the roof.

Buy the whole thing. When your done selling the extra parts you would have more than doubled your money. Get it before the derby dummies find it.

1967 Chrysler

Buy the whole thing. When your done selling the extra parts you would have more than doubled your money. Get it before the derby dummies find it.
:thumbsup::thankyou:

Nice sleuth work

I've seen some creative approaches to rust before. But on a roof? With holes clear through it? Geezus guys - the roof is shot. It has to be replaced if you really care about the car. If you don't, keep up the talk of chemicals and treatments, and welding in patches. Or just cut it up. There is no lipstick that will "fix" that pig.

Back