Home Security

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what system everyone is using for home security.

I see all different systems with numerous camera's. Mostly hard wired systems.

I'm going to try the Ring Video II system. I live in a townhouse that I only have to really worry about the front of the house. The rear is protected Woodland with steep grades that no one ever tries to climb.

tumblr_odb7uj19DZ1ufzk7po1_500.gif

tumblr_nv5gzhvl511rdekj2o1_500.gif

Some of the online cloud based video cameras are very easily hacked, to the point hackers can gain enough access to look inside you house thru the various cameras. Same is also a problem with the so called smart house technology that has the integrated security built in.

Dave

We have a Ring Floodlight and a Ring Pro doorbell. The floodlight overlooks the driveway and the doorbell covers the porch. Both are hard wired in and the doorbell also activates a chime.

They are a pretty decent system and you can't beat the video quality and adjustable motion areas. The phone app is good, although it is all over the web or through your wireless router. If your router is down, no coverage or even a doorbell, but I think all the systems are like that.

Here's a screen shot of my driveway, taken a couple minutes ago at 7:30PM. It's pretty dark out right now. The floodlights are on and they come on in the evening whenever there is someone in the driveway.

YWKYiHt.png

Taken a few minutes later, view from the doorbell. No extra lighting.

FjyclF2.png

One really nice option is when one is activated, the other camera starts taping too. So if someone walks onto the driveway, the driveway starts and the doorbell starts too. Then there is no delay while the doorbell figures out there is someone walking off the driveway onto the porch.

You can also determine times to shutoff the notifications.

One bad thing is that if a bird lands on it at 3:AM, my phone dings. The sensitivity is set back enough that a squirrel walking across the driveway isn't going to set it off... or it could be set so that it does.

A number of years ago I worked for a security company. One of the best things the stop a break in is a large and very loud siren. You'll like this part especially, it's got to be loud enough to get all of the neighbors attention. It needs to exceed 90 decibels, because no one will want to stay in the house with it sounding off. Cameras only help during the prosecution.

Where I am at I don't need to worry too much, but I do have guns, a barking small dog and 2 attack cats.

We have 2 Arlo cameras that are motion activated like the ring and others. It's a decent product. I think I have their Pro series which has a clear image day and night. Generally the activation to alert on my phone time is within a few seconds, but now and then they come in 10-20 minutes late, and I don't know why. The base station with Arlo also has a built in siren that you can set off with you phone. Overall it allows me to have a little more piece of mind while I'm gone.

Did you make a decision?

We have 2 Arlo cameras that are motion activated like the ring and others. It's a decent product. I think I have their Pro series which has a clear image day and night. Generally the activation to alert on my phone time is within a few seconds, but now and then they come in 10-20 minutes late, and I don't know why. The base station with Arlo also has a built in siren that you can set off with you phone. Overall it allows me to have a little more piece of mind while I'm gone.

The idea of being able to trip the siren remotely is nice. Having a siren or two outside is advisable as well. I would tuck it up behind the soffit right by the door. It needs to be hidden so that the wires cannot be easily cut, but not so much as to muffle the sound.

Having a siren or two outside is advisable as well.

I like that idea. I plan on getting another camera to watch my garage. I'll check into a siren. Hopefully I can find a wireless one to put outside of my neighbors window:D

Back