Hood hinges

66Plymouth

Reaction score
Stupid question I know, but I removed the hood for awhile in till the motor is all button up but I hate seeing the hinges flying high in the air lol. Is there a trick to getting them down and maybe using a strap in the meanwhile till the hood goes back on?
Dan

Bolt 2x4s to em, set them down, take the 2x4 off?

Not sure how safe it is to have those things down and not secured but if I was going to put them down, I'd be trying replicate the leverage offered by the hood ... I'd be worried they would pop up again though... like, at a bad time while I was leaning over them to do something at the back of the engine.

Leave them. Get over it.
This is, hands down, the best answer.

I've seen guys force the coil spring versions down, but never saw anyone do it with a torsion bar sprung hood hinge. With the coil springs, once they are down, they are OK as long as you don't mess with them, but popping them back up is not for the faint of heart. It's a broken hand/wrist/fingers/windshield or all of the above waiting to happen. I wouldn't do it...

Stupid question I know, but I removed the hood for awhile in till the motor is all button up but I hate seeing the hinges flying high in the air lol. Is there a trick to getting them down and maybe using a strap in the meanwhile till the hood goes back on?
Dan

Why ?!? Are you planning to drive the car around with the hood off? Don't dick with those things.

Why ?!? Are you planning to drive the car around with the hood off? Don't dick with those things.
Finishing up building the motor and the intake and air cleaner sit very high. I haven't had time to kick around a scoop yet, or cut the hood. Also, before you say a word, you tell my son that its to big lol. That boy has sanded, pulled both motor out, help rebuild the 505 Stroker and just about any and everything he could possibly do on this car. So I figured if he wanted a big air cleaner, then he gets his air cleaner. Also, he saved and bought it;)

20190611_111304_HDR.jpg

20190616_200228.jpg

Last edited:
Back