Hope This Doesn’t Get Parted Out

JD Hall

Reaction score
Finally got down to Frankfort to check this pair of Furies on Craigslist for $800. Unfortunately...or fortunately, the other guy furnished the deposit he’d promised.

1970 & 1971 Plymouth Fury

The ‘71 was really pretty amazing and mechanically solid. The seller explained he’d owned and daily driven it for twenty years or so. He impressed me with his mechanical upkeep and useful upgrades. The aesthetic, love it or leave it was genuine...seasoned to a shocking perfection. Not some TV, clear coated, rust job. The Buckaroo Bonzai theme carried over in the interior as well. Funny, when I saw the B5 paint on the naked floors, I recollected seeing this car around years ago with a missing bumper and with the funky roof rack. The seller was a fabricator and used the rack for transporting handrails to jobsites around the state.

In a way, this Fury is a really unique time capsule of when these cars were so cheap and so available in the ‘80s. Something like this could be done to your “heirloom”...if one had the imagination and follow through. Typically said creation would be wrecked or suffer some mechanical failure sending it to the junkyard or derby.

If the guy from Nashville who bought these is on the board, have a heart and preserve this one as is. Would be a hoot at The Dream Cruise or even just a Kroger parking lot.

099614AC-E47B-4436-8D20-E3212D93352B.jpeg

Does that bother anyone else as much as me...geeze it ticks me off to see someone stick their finger in a photo :BangHead:

As I've said many times before...

"Hi, I'm calling about the car... where can I see it?" 9 times out of ten, his address.

Or for those cagey geniuses who meet on neutral ground... "May I see the title?" ...which has the address.

And your odds of sticking a phone number into the Google and getting name/address are pretty good as well.

I wonder if those were parts cars for the green one in the middle that you see just a little of.:rolleyes:

Finally got down to Frankfort to check this pair of Furies on Craigslist for $800. Unfortunately...or fortunately, the other guy furnished the deposit he’d promised.

1970 & 1971 Plymouth Fury

The ‘71 was really pretty amazing and mechanically solid. The seller explained he’d owned and daily driven it for twenty years or so. He impressed me with his mechanical upkeep and useful upgrades. The aesthetic, love it or leave it was genuine...seasoned to a shocking perfection. Not some TV, clear coated, rust job. The Buckaroo Bonzai theme carried over in the interior as well. Funny, when I saw the B5 paint on the naked floors, I recollected seeing this car around years ago with a missing bumper and with the funky roof rack. The seller was a fabricator and used the rack for transporting handrails to jobsites around the state.

In a way, this Fury is a really unique time capsule of when these cars were so cheap and so available in the ‘80s. Something like this could be done to your “heirloom”...if one had the imagination and follow through. Typically said creation would be wrecked or suffer some mechanical failure sending it to the junkyard or derby.

If the guy from Nashville who bought these is on the board, have a heart and preserve this one as is. Would be a hoot at The Dream Cruise or even just a Kroger parking lot.

View attachment 239458
He can preserve it as is if he likes but please don't be living in my neighborhood with such an eyesore.
This is really just sad, like 'Wasn't grandma cute in her hobo Halloween costume?' and thinking it's OK to bury her in it. Nobody really wants to see that.

Last edited:
FFS...

View attachment 239460

Seriously? WhoTF is gonna steal it by tracing a license plate??
CARFAX lets you look up plate numbers to access reports. It doesn't work on pre-1981 vehicles, which don't have the standardized VIN format. Neither does the computer at O'Reilly Auto Parts. (I attempted to look up a Craigslist'd '95 Dodge B-van on CARFAX and the plate number belonged to a Ford Taurus. "Next!")

Besides, who would take the plates off before sticking a "for sale" sign in the window? That'd make me suspicious.

CARFAX lets you look up plate numbers to access reports. It doesn't work on pre-1981 vehicles, which don't have the standardized VIN format. Neither does the computer at O'Reilly Auto Parts. (I attempted to look up a Craigslist'd '95 Dodge B-van on CARFAX and the plate number belonged to a Ford Taurus. "Next!")

Besides, who would take the plates off before sticking a "for sale" sign in the window? That'd make me suspicious.

I'm sure it's the type of thing that varies by state, but I sell cars all the time without registering them. Sometimes I'll even throw an old plate on to keep Mrs. Kravitz or Johnny Law from asking questions when they are parked.

Back