Hose sizes

Analog Kid

Reaction score
I'd like to replace some of the hoses on my '72 Fury but I'm not exactly sure of the sizes. Can someone tell me what sizes are the following hoses?
  • Brake Booster hose
  • PCV Valve Vent Tube hose (from charcoal cannister) - this one has a red stripe on it - goes to a tee that has two larger hoses that go to the carburetor and PCV valve. I'm thinking the larger ones are 3/8"?
  • Fuel Bowl Vent hose - from carburetor to charcoal cannister.
  • Distributor Vacuum hose - this tees to the distributor and carburetor from the charcoal cannister. This is the smallest size hose.
Let me know if more of a description or pictures are needed. I appreciate the help.

Thanks,

PCV and Brake Booster both use 11/32" vacuum hose. If you want date coded hoses that are correct, www.yearone.com
has many of them available. They also have fuel, canister and vac advance hoses in the correct pattern.(B & C bodies use the same hoses here).

Whatever you do, do not use anything but vacuum hose on the brake booster, fuel line or transmission cooler hose will fail abruptly due to inner lining seperation.

Dave

Last edited:
When you take your samples to the auto supply, snip them an inch back of where they slide onto whatever they attach to, so you get an accurate hose size rather than the expanded size where it slides over the bump on what it goes on to. It's also possible that the size is still inked on the existing hoses, just covered with dirt and such? But if you use any petroleum-based cleaner to wipe them down, it'll remove any markings in the process.

My experiences have been that you need a reinforced rubber line going to the booster and pcv, due to the level of vacuum they see. Don't want the booster hose collapsing from the vacuum it holds. The distributor hose and others can do fine with an OEM-quality thicker-wall vacuum line (as the original). On each sample, put some masking tape around them and mark the length you need of each. Then match the size and construction when you get to the supply store. Look for the same wall thickness as the pieces you have. Plus that they are "fuel/vapor rated", too. There are some vacuum lines that look decent on the roll, but the first time they get hot from underhood heat, you find out how substantial they are not.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Bes to yank em off and haul em to the parts store with you. Then you will know exactly what you got and need.

Yeah....I guess I could do that although i was hoping to order them online - preferably Rock Auto since you can pay by PayPal. It's complicated but that's where my car money pretty much comes from.

I have a roll of 11/32 hose if you need a few feet I ask 5 a foot shipped.

Bes to yank em off and haul em to the parts store with you. Then you will know exactly what you got and need.
You have better success than I do. I recently enjoyed educating the kid at AZ about the mystery box of 5/8 heater hose he didn't know he had...:realcrazy:

They give you 3/8 fuel hose just about every time you hand them a chunk of 11/32 vacuum hose.:wtf:

Parts stores don't know what 11/32 is. I googled Gates 11/32 vacuum booster hose on Amazon. Can't recall the P/N. 3 ft delivered for $11. Enough for the booster and pvc. Not date coded, but at least doesn't say made in Vietnam.

Just yank em off and take em the parts store. Thats what i do. Im good friends with everyone at my local store so i just walk in the back and start measuring and cutting lengths of hose that match up. Wrote everything down on what size and how long and walk up to the front counter. Somtimes get a better deal if they have extra lengths of hose that they have laying around from old spools

Looks like Rock Auto has the Gates 11/32 hose for $1.42 per foot - same part number as what's on Amazon (Part 27232) Such a wide discrepancy with pricing. Year One wants $20 for 18". I'll order from RA and see what I get...if it's crap then I'll go with Amazon.

However I'll probably get the 7 ribbed distributor vacuum hose from Yearone since the thickness looks correct. I picked up some same size hose at the parts store but it's not as thick. They also have the Corbin clamps I'll need for the brake booster unless I can find the one that flew off in the garage.

Looks like Rock Auto has the Gates 11/32 hose for $1.42 per foot - same part number as what's on Amazon (Part 27232) Such a wide discrepancy with pricing. Year One wants $20 for 18". I'll order from RA and see what I get...if it's crap then I'll go with Amazon.

However I'll probably get the 7 ribbed distributor vacuum hose from Yearone since the thickness looks correct. I picked up some same size hose at the parts store but it's not as thick. They also have the Corbin clamps I'll need for the brake booster unless I can find the one that flew off in the garage.

Dave -- can you update us on your experience with both the RA Gates hose and the Year One 7-ribbed hose? The latter seems to come in batches of 3' length -- is that what you got?

Dave -- can you update us on your experience with both the RA Gates hose and the Year One 7-ribbed hose? The latter seems to come in batches of 3' length -- is that what you got?
I bought the 3' Gates from Amazon. By the time you factor in shipping, it comes out about the same (or less) and you get it quicker. This was for the brake booster in my Barracuda and it worked out fine.

https://smile.amazon.com/Gates-2723...acuum+Hose&qid=1589908673&s=automotive&sr=1-1

The RA Gates hose was fine. No problems there.

I never bought the Year One hose. The existing one wasn't cracked or anything so I just cleaned it up. I also found the clamp that flew off so I didn't need to order that either.

Back