Hot Rod Magazine 318 build

Seems like a pretty good build, though I wouldn't be surprised if some of the parts they used aren't available new anymore. Things have changed a lot in the last 12 years. Shouldn't be too hard to check and see if you can still get everything you need to do it.

Jeff

When I saw that it was a Hot Rod article I assumed it was written by Steve Dulcich. I guessed right.

I laughed when I read this, “Why build a 318? Some may argue there is never a reason to build the Mopar 318. When the time comes to rebuild a small-block, the 318 should always be cast aside in favor of a 360.”

In my case it was always 340s. I’m responsible for more than a few c body convertibles running around w a 340 under the hood. Doesn’t make up for all the C’s gutted by e body guys over the years but I figure I’ve done my small part for the cause.

Great fun article thanks !!!

I vaguely remember that article, and Dulcich has a decent reputation for knowledge, so maybe I'm off base with my opinion here, but...
Any 318 capable of 400hp would be a poor choice for a C-body. (the torque curve would be shifted too high?)

Now a mildly hopped-up 5.2 Magnum with EFI? In a C-body, I fully support that idea.

I vaguely remember that article, and Dulcich has a decent reputation for knowledge, so maybe I'm off base with my opinion here, but...
Any 318 capable of 400hp would be a poor choice for a C-body. (the torque curve would be shifted too high?)

Now a mildly hopped-up 5.2 Magnum with EFI? In a C-body, I fully support that idea.
It has been done by Steve Hobby aka Polaraco
UPDATE!. .It's time for Polaraco. . I'm goin in

Here is another similar build and write up. I think this one has a little more explanation. Again, by Steve Dulcich

Chrysler 318 Engine - Popular Hot Rodding Magazine
I followed this build for my 68 with a few changes
Used a forged 340 crank and bored .060 over
Used late model rods. Have not had it on a dyno yet, but it makes PLENTY of power .engine quest heads ported at Betts race fabrication of Anaheim. CA

20191001_173644.jpg

Imagine what you'd have if you put that attention to detail and money into a big block...

Imagine what you'd have if you put that attention to detail and money into a big block...
Hello Furious70;. Its always fun watching someone start the big vs small block debate ( never ending argument) in a forum.
A better comment would have been to ask why I choose to grow the original 318 into a fire breathing 331 cid *** kicker.
Answer: seeing the look on big block owners faces who lose to small block C Body.lol

Last edited:
Hello Furious70;. Its always fun watching someone start the big vs small block debate ( never ending argument) in a forum.
A better comment would have been to ask why I choose to grow the original 318 into a fire breathing 331 cid *** kicker.
Answer: seeing the look on big block owners faces who lose to small block C Body.lol
Good luck :D

Many underestimate a stock eliminator style built smallblock. 340 and 360 can be (and are ), giant killers...

Many underestimate a stock eliminator style built smallblock. 340 and 360 can be (and are ), giant killers...
I wouldn't underestimate something like that, but that's not what this is. And you won't find any of those 340's in SS/AH.......

With a wedge head always build the bigger bore. If rarity is a issue, that's one thing. 318s and 360s are not rare.

I guess it depends on availability and what you want to do, maybe you're a die hard numbers guy, externally you can have it look stockish and retain the numbers matching motor while having some fun.

Other guys just like to prove what can be done.

I'm still. Debating my engine choice for my ragtop, it had a 360-2 when I bought it, it's got a mildly built 318 in it now, and I have sitting in my storage building an E58 360, but I've also toyed with the idea of a 318 Magnum...

Nick

I just threw up in my mouth a bit...

Lol
The MPI magnum was done twice by Steve Hobby.
There is a member here did a Gen3 hemi in a 68 Fury
Wanna do something different? how about a 300HP 3.6L Pentastar V6 from a wrecked Challenger/300?? Great MPG and the Fury's huge gas tank will give that motor a 1000 km travel range,LOL!!
We can all dream but money can limit things

I do like the 3.6L and TF-8 in my Charger. I wish there was an affordable bolt on turbo or supercharger system for it. There's a supercharger kit for Jeeps with the 3.6 but it's not affordable. Converting it to megasquirt controlled would lose all the OEM software that yields such good mpg and power.
For a little Dart or Mitsu Challenger type car the 3.6 could be a hoot.

The MPI magnum was done twice by Steve Hobby.
There is a member here did a Gen3 hemi in a 68 Fury
Wanna do something different? how about a 300HP 3.6L Pentastar V6 from a wrecked Challenger/300?? Great MPG and the Fury's huge gas tank will give that motor a 1000 km travel range,LOL!!
We can all dream but money can limit things
I don't really care about being different, my ragtop is my baby, it's getting a small block, but I haven't decided what flavor, if I go Magnum, it will be dressed like an LA anyway

Nick

Back