How close is tailpipe supposed to be to frame rail

D Cluley

Reaction score
I'm replacing the single exhaust on my '65 Chrysler, and am not sure 100% about the placement of the tailpipe.

I believe it is supposed to run inboard of the frame rail but not sure how close horizontally or vertically to the rail.

Anyone have dimensions or photos of a stock setup in that area?

Thanks,
Dan

Dan I have a few pics.
Let me dig them out of my archives.
The tailpipe runs between the gas tank and frame rail slightly lower than the frame rail.
Stock tailpipes end before the bumper and have a baloney sliced tip.
Btw, you still have the blue Dart? Lol!

No, the Dart lasted till the spring of 2014. It just got too rusty & needed significant engine work so got parted out that summer.

After 7 years I figured out I don't have the time/energy/budget to keep more than one old car together.

The current daily is a Buick from Alabama. 18 years old & no rust! :)

In general, the pipe is closer to the frame rail than to the fuel tank. With the normal C-body muffler, seems line the rear pipe is pretty much on the same straight line out of the muffler after it goes over the rear axle? Consider, too, that the L-shaped rear hanger is about 2.5-2.75" in its horizontal dimension.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Here you go Dan.
PXL_20211018_134032608.jpg
PXL_20211018_134041769.jpg
PXL_20211018_134045544.jpg

When I used to do exhaust work in the 70s, a good rule of thumb is... the width of your thumb between any metal as a minimum.

Dan what i have on file so far..
Pretty much dead center between the tsnk and frame.

FB_IMG_1634734290531.jpg

Thanks guys.

I got a complete setup from Waldron's and it seems to fit quite well. Problem is my car has a trailer hitch, and it is pretty much exactly where the pipe is supposed to run.

I'm thinking tweaking it down and over (under the frame rail) is going to be easier than up and through the hitch frame, but we will see.

1965 Chrysler 300 exhaust 10 20 2021.jpg

Back