How difficult would this dumb idea be?

SGT FURY

Reaction score
I have a 61 300 G that is to far gone to restore.
I have a 61 Fury conv that is to far gone to restore.
I have access to a solid 62 NY
I have a 62 300 parts car

Bolt doors from 61 G onto NY
Remove 2dr 300 1/4s and back end from trim lines on up. Bottom is rusted on 300.
Graft 300 back end onto 62 NY 4dr.
Remove 61 Plymouth convertable front window frame and rear boot hinge section.
Graft into NY

61 G 300 conv !!!!!
Something I'm not likely to do. Just thinking about what's possiable!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Do it Ken! Or sell the whole package to someone that would.:thumbsup:

The allure of a letter-car convertible might be great, but the value of such would be not so great, as it isn't "real". Yes, people would pick it to death to find out!

Might be better off with a regular 300 or NY conv? At least, you could build it as needed and not get all of the attention from letter-car purists. I suspect. Might even be more fun to drive, too!

Hope you've got enough unused shop space and body rotisseries/supports to undertake that operation! It could be a good operation with a good outcome, if done correctly. Be sure to take lots of pictures!

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Ken,

Build it !!
You have all the cars and then some to pull all the parts from to make the conversion. That alone can be difficult especially when having to ship a non-running parts car !
Also, from the pictures of the cars and my own experience living out in CA, think your confusing California rust to cars that are truly rotted out. Both of those 61's would be considered in good shape back here in the midwest !!

Last edited:
No doubt it would be a very interesting car. Still, the time, effort and money could be better spent. Ken dosen't have the resources of Leno.
Jer's wagon is a special vehicle for sure. Cool car, but a wise undertaking....? (Sorry Jer. But I do love it).

I'm just having fun seeing what puzzle I can put together from my backyard!
I do have all the pieces for this puzzle though.
I wouldn't try to pass it off as legit 300 letter conv. Just a fun drivable hot rod conv.
I would use the complete drive train out of a 70 300.
I would use interior from 62 300.
I would have to register it as 62 NY 4dr and use vin from 62 NY as the vin from 61 300 had rusted off and was lost. The car looks good in pictures,but is missing many parts and has rust issues.

I don't have the body work skills to pull it off,but I know somebody who does and would be willing to help.

I do however have too many worthwhile projects that I need to spend time and resources on.
I will set them all side by side and see what comes of it?

I think it would be cool. Nobody bags on the tri fives that are built out of many donor cars they just admire the finished product of ONE MORE saved. I know rare is important but I’m also kinda glad we are hurtling towards a time where the vin tags just don’t really matter as much. The e bodies are already there. A 318 core car is treated like gold and once done nobody really cares what it started out as. Preserve the rare and save the rest. Remember if it walks like a duck....

If I had the skills and time, I'd be all over that idea! I'd concentrate on what all would have to happen to make the Plymouth convertible parts work on the 300 body. That (to me) is the most difficult aspect of pulling this off. You have four cars there that would be expensive to build/restore in and of themselves. Build your convertible dream. Take stock of what is left from the other three. Selling the parts you don't need as spares would likely bring you a nice chunk of change. Build the way you'd have ordered the car back in the day. Screw it! Life sneaks up on you, and one day, you're dead. Seriously consider the coolness of what you can end up building here. One-of-none, as they say.

Build your dream!

Right now, I'm spending about three to five hours each day in the shop, working on my projects and keeping my runners running. I've found my attitude is so much better, after spending nearly no time out there in close to six months. I'm motivated now! Do it!

No doubt it would be a very interesting car. Still, the time, effort and money could be better spent. Ken dosen't have the resources of Leno.
Jer's wagon is a special vehicle for sure. Cool car, but a wise undertaking....? (Sorry Jer. But I do love it).

I do understand the therapeutic value in a project like that. A great way to occupy the mind.

Back