How do I find a radiator hose by size!

Fast Eddie B

Reaction score
there is NOTHING available molded or NOS for my 60 Fury, but I know there is a hose somewhere.

I need a 1.5 x 19 x 1.5 upper flexible hose and a 1.5 x 17 x 1.75 flexible Lower hose. At least the lower needs a spring.

Anyone know where I might be able to shop by size? I have spent waaaaay to much time surfing and getting the wrong parts sent here.

Worst case scenario, you could do what some early '60s GM pickup trucks had on them. A molded pipe with rubber sections that made the connections to the radiator and such. Twice the number of clamps, though! Any muffler shop should be able to bend the pipe for you, if they have the correct diameter pipe. Might even paint it black or get it chromed?

IF you find a NOS hose, all it'll be good for is "a pattern". No more that that!

IF you can find an old, embedded auto supply, which has paper books AND an "Illustrated Catalog" for their hose lines, plus a big selection of radiator hoses hanging on the racks, you might find one with a few more kinks or bends in it that might work. When you find one, post a picture with the part number for others to use.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Go to AAP or NAPA and ask to look at their paper copy of coolant hoses catalog. The paper catalog will have a illustrated list of hoses with sizes and lengths. They probably don't have the hose you need in stock but might be able to order it. Worst case you can get a part number of a hose that works and search the internet for that part number.

Thanks for the tips. Most of those pipes from the rock auto site are in my shop! The non-flexible ‘cut to fits’ won’t reach without a kink. The kinks are significant enough I have decided to go flexible. On the flexible side, the recommended on rock auto is 21” and that is way too long. If I cut it, won’t be any clamping room. The 13.5” won’t reach upper or lower with enough bite.

I’m thinking hitting an old shop with hoses hanging or hitting the Napa catalog at the store is the best way. Why can’t they just put it on line!

Great. Let us know how it turns out for you.

Good luck!

If you know the original Mopar part number for the hose, a good parts supplier (one that supplies parts to repair garages and service centres) can cross reference to a Gates number or other aftermarket number, and can find it for you.

bend up a coat hanger to the shape you need and take it with you when you go looking. you should be able to find a molded hose that is close enough. i have had to do this by cutting one or both ends off, turning them side ways, etc. you can make the lower spring out of wire if need be.

A molded hose is the best hose, with respect to fluid flow. The flex hose and its shape will cause too much turbulence in the fluid flow, which can also result in aeration of the fluid, which is not good for cooling systems. In many cases they do get things from point A to point B, though.

"Online" didn't used to exist! We had to do all of these searches MANUALLY and possibly follow leads of who had what. Some of the online illustrations are "representative" and not completely accurate for what's desired. The PAPER illustrated catalogs are more accurate, plus usually have applications along with part numbers. Burn some gasoline and seek out these places! Many times, if the part is not as represented, a good helpful parts guy won't charge you freight or restocking fees, unless they have to. Be nice to them as THEY are your lifeline to the parts that you need now or in the future!

CBODY67

I doubt the originals were flex hoses.i think I saw a couple listed on an NOS site but no pics. Since I’m not going concours here, anything newer that fits would be more reliable.

When I get home I’ll dig out the part numbers and look for cross references but so far I think I already got them and they are all cut to fit and kink.

I found the same gates lower hose I took off, but the new one is kinked and has no inner spring where the one I took out did have spring and was so bloated that maybe it was linked one day.

The upper hose I took off is another gates but measures 19” flexible and all I could find was 21”. It hits the hood and looks silly. Not enough either end to trim as the 19 was a little big anyway.

I’ll get the part numbers out and try another cross match online. Otherwise off to Napa to find a book and pick one out.

I looked up an original number on eBay and it showed a flex, Mopar tag and all, that is why I asked.

What engine do you have?

Power Steering?

Alan

The anti collapse spring worked.... but the hose was really a tad short so still kinked. Should be looking for a new hose but for now ‘it’ll do”.

Bought the Gates cross match to the stock hose - at least 3” short. A bust.

Winning suggestion.....

Walked into a modern Advance Auto Parts (vs an old-school shop) and handed them the gates hose and said ‘can you make this 4” longer”.

He came back with a 5” longer version - SOLD!

Should have started there. I have at least 4 hoses I may never use that weren’t worth the shipping to return!

Back