How do I get at the fuses without breaking something?

Fast Eddie B

Reaction score
78 NYB. Manual says 'slide the fuse box toward the center of the car to remove it from the bracket'

I can see a couple of relays poking out. I can grab the box, but nothing is 'sliding' anywhere!

And where is the 'center of the car? To slide it on a 45 degree angle to the center of the car, you would have to go through the metal dash! If they mean 'slide to the right toward the steering column' it ain't moving and if i try any harder I'll just break something.

Clearly there is a trick. This is very annoying as it should be SIMPLE to see a fuse box!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Obviously, "toward" the center of the car, I suspect. Might be an online owners manual that can be found, or a YouTube DIY video?

CBODY67

If it helps any, I've attached the two pages from the 78 Chrysler service manual. The fuse box slides to the right, but it may need to be wiggled a little, to get it out of the way of something.

Attachments

• Fuse Panel.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 204
  • Fuse Panel_0001.pdf
    772 KB · Views: 219
its on a bracket where you simply slide it off the bracket. After all these years it probably needs a tap.

Untitled Note - Nov 13, 2017 11.00 AM - Page 1.jpg

Yep, that is a 1978 only feature. It will drop down easily. Just pay attention and get your face down there to see how it drops. To me, it was a lot harder to align it back up and put it back to stowed position. Just don't force it unless you want your fuse box hanging down 24x7. It isn't difficult but if you pay attention the first time it will be a breeze after that.

Didn't some years of the "formals" have a wingnut-type mount to swing them down from the bottom of the instrument panel, for better access than otherwise? Seems like I remember that feature on them?

CBODY67

Didn't some years of the "formals" have a wingnut-type mount to swing them down from the bottom of the instrument panel, for better access than otherwise? Seems like I remember that feature on them?

CBODY67

If you go to this website they have a lot of info and they have the data book and paint & interior guides and other data that is quite useful. Go to the library section and click on it.

The 1970 Hamtramck Registry Home Page

Here is the link for the data book. Read through it and you will see all the one year changes for 1978 C-Bodies.....

The 1970 Hamtramck Registry - 1978 Chrysler Dealership Data Book - Newport/New Yorker

CBODY67
Yes, 1974 for sure...possibly 75 too.

its on a bracket where you simply slide it off the bracket. After all these years it probably needs a tap.

View attachment 151597

Great pic. It did need a bump and it came out but not ‘toward the center of the car’ as it was in the owners manual. You cleared it up. Instrument lights working again. Life is good.

Thanks for all the help.

Back