How do i pop off this piece of trim

jct

Reaction score
20190526_191843.jpg

68 Newport

The lower piece of trim under the window what kind of trim clips does it take, and what kind of tool to pop it off. Going to try to find where the water leaking into at so i can figure how to fix the issue myself :-\

I would start from the inside, if you take off all of the trim around the window and run a bead of urethane or rtv around the inside edge that usually seals it up. I spent over three hours removing the four peices of trim from the back window of my '71 New Yorker this weekend. The clips and the butyl stuck to the inside of the trim make it tricky job. And there's always the chance the window will break.

Definitely need to find the trail the water stream has left, so that you can see where it's coming from to start with. Might find a picture in a '67 or '68 FSM at www.mymopar.com OR in the trim illustrations in the body molding section of the similar parts book.

If it's what I suspect it might be, the wire clips compress and then expand once in the hole, with a soft rubber square "seal" on them, under where they hook into the molding's backside channel. Just a suspicion until I look in there to see what's there.

Water sealing on the older vehicles was not nearly what it could have been, but was plenty good enough for the first 20 years of the vehicle's life, typically.

Hopefully you can get it sealed and still be able to remove the moldings later, if needed. OR if a later owner might desire to remove them, for whatever reason.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

View attachment 289270

68 Newport

The lower piece of trim under the window what kind of trim clips does it take, and what kind of tool to pop it off. Going to try to find where the water leaking into at so i can figure how to fix the issue myself :-\
The lower window trim? Or the trim below the lower window trim?

The lowest trim that wraps around the side and rear most likely has some spring clips and a couple of anchors clips that you will have to take the nuts off of in your trunk. On my ‘68 Polara 2dr. The spring clips were similar to this.
Some where on this site. I started trim clip thread with pictures and P/n of the clips I had. I can’t remember how far I went.

image.jpg

It's not the trim around the window that was "fixed" about 3 years ago

Last edited:
Did not know about the gaskets on the clips anything special about the gasket material? I'm gathering my information before i tackle anything first

The "gasket material" is a part of the clip, not a separate piece. Usually was a light green sponge rubber, as I recall. What's pictured is similar to what I suspected it might be. There might have been a few different types, though? For the color/vinyl roof divider molding, which is below the rear window surround molding.

Thanks for the image, HWYCRUZR.

CBODY67

My 69 had bolt on clips, my car has 2" square access holes to get to the nuts.

Alan

Found the hold down nuts, what kind of tool do i need to pop off the trim, i don't want to man handle it and damage it. I did see two different styles of clips on the parts book. This will be something for me to do after my floor pans get welded in

Last edited:
20190608_151009.jpg
20190608_151041.jpg
Managed to pop it off... The seal/gasket died with age

Message_1560023574085.jpg

Last edited:
The lower window trim? Or the trim below the lower window trim?

The lowest trim that wraps around the side and rear most likely has some spring clips and a couple of anchors clips that you will have to take the nuts off of in your trunk. On my ‘68 Polara 2dr. The spring clips were similar to this.
Some where on this site. I started trim clip thread with pictures and P/n of the clips I had. I can’t remember how far I went.

View attachment 289322

Found out yesterday, it's a total of 4 nuts i had to remove and 7 clips, only removed two nuts and broke two of the plastic hold downs cause i didn't notice those at the time *yikes* *sigh* time to find some of those used hold downs

Back