How Do I replace brake light switch? Dang clip...aaargh!!

MBar

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have always had to pull up on the pedal when stopping so my lights wouldn't stay on. Doen't help anymore. I see no spring and I think that is in the master cylinder anyway. I have seen threads recommending adjustment but I can't find anything on how to do it. The switch was only 11 bucks and mine looks like it may be broken so I figure I'll replace it anyway but I can't figure out how to replace it or how to adjust it... I have a 1968 Newport with non-power drum brakes.

If it’s like my Fury, I ran one of the nuts down, pulled it out, unplugged it and reversed process on install. It has two nuts so you can set it properly. Switch is above pedal,so your master cylinder shouldn’t be involved, although I assume you are not talking about the brake warning light, but, rather the brake lights.

Mine would randomly stay on. Found someone had bent the mounting bracket. Used a pry bar to bend it back.

just my experience. Hope it helps.

If it’s like my Fury, I ran one of the nuts down, pulled it out, unplugged it and reversed process on install. It has two nuts so you can set it properly. Switch is above pedal,so your master cylinder shouldn’t be involved, although I assume you are not talking about the brake warning light, but, rather the brake lights.

Mine would randomly stay on. Found someone had bent the mounting bracket. Used a pry bar to bend it back.

just my experience. Hope it helps.

Thanks. Mine is different. It has a clip (?) and pushes on I think. It looks like it goes out toward the firewall but the master cylinder rod is blocking it. Tried removing that but the bolt hits the bracket. I'm going nuts :)
I tried to squeeze and push on the clip but no go. Also, on the new one, the clip seems to be super tight and I can just see that's going to be fun.

Aaaaaahh yes...this was supposed to be a five-minute job. Gotta love the hobby :)

IMG_20210110_145100704.jpg

IMG_20210110_151625264.jpg

But that metal bracket it clips into has an adjustment on it. You can readjust relative to the frame which moves the actuation point.
upload_2021-1-10_17-30-4.png

That looks to be. A similar clip that is used where the parking brake cable goes through the stub frame. They are a ***** to remove as they have teeth that dig in. You may be able to get a screw driver on the metal lip below and pry while squeezing with pliers. I believe if I recall correctly, to reinstall the clip goes in first and then the switch is inserted. Sometimes the service manual doesn’t give a good explanation. I don’t have that switch in my ‘68 Polara.

I had the same problem with mine for a long time. I would have to tap the pedal back up to get it to shut off, other times it wouldent shut off. i tried new switches, NOS switches. New brackets. I finially tool the bracket out and slotted the bracket adjustment slot an 1/8 inch. No more problems.

But that metal bracket it clips into has an adjustment on it. You can readjust relative to the frame which moves the actuation point.
View attachment 429641
I see the red arrow you drew but I am not clear....is the adjustment made by bending the bracket? .... and how do I get that dang clip off? and then, the switch seems to need to be removed toward the firewall but there is no clearance.

I see the red arrow you drew but I am not clear....is the adjustment made by bending the bracket? .... and how do I get that dang clip off? and then, the switch seems to need to be removed toward the firewall but there is no clearance.
There's a bolt/screw right above the arrow that attaches the tin piece(bracket) your switch clips into onto the frame of the pedal assembly. And the hole that screw/bolt goes through is usually elongated to allow fore/aft movement of the bracket to set the actuation point of the switch.
upload_2021-1-10_21-2-16.png

Back