How does one check to see if a part number has superseded?

Ross Wooldridge

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

How does one check to see if a part number has superseded? I want to know if this part number for 65 C body wagon tailgate glass inner beltline weatherstrip ( # 2482502 ) supersedes to another number for 66, because it's listed as 65 only, but I would have thought the part was identical 65-66 and possibly up to 68...

Anyone?

Ross I can usually search part numbers from 1970 and up but for something like this I usually try Marty's site to see if he has it listed which in this case he does show one but no superceded number. Other than that mymopar.com has the part number search engine .

Ross I can usually search part numbers from 1970 and up but for something like this I usually try Marty's site to see if he has it listed which in this case he does show one but no superceded number. Other than that mymopar.com has the part number search engine .

Thank You for all your help Graham!

:thumbsup:

I know - lol - it's one of Marty's weatherstrips he listed the other day. I can't believe it doesn't fit a 66... perhaps someone else has a way to check below 1970.

www.partsvoice.com is an excellent search tool for part numbers too, but again, only shows for that number, and if it's a supersede, it doesn't make note of that.

Thanks Graham!

In earlier, pre-computer, times, you looked up the part number in the parts book. Then went to the separate Price Schedule. If the part number was not in that price list, THEN you looked in the back section of the current price book (usually published quarterly) to look in the disposition list (which is where the ominous "NS1" designations also were!).

So it was . . . look for the part number, look in the current price listings, if not there, to the "back of the book" for any part number changes/NS1 designations. If a new number was found, then you looked for that number in the price list. If not there, cycle repeat. SO, in the absence of a then-current price book, you'd have to part number search EACH model year's parts book to look for the same number being used in each book.

The part number change would usually be to a later model year vehicle. In your case, to determine IF the weatherstrip did interchange with the '66 item, then you'd need to look for the same part in a '66 parts book. IF the part number was the same in both books, using the earlier '65 part number for the '66, then it was the same. Same with later model years.

Now, you have to know how the Chrysler parts numbering system "happened". First Digit is decade first used. "1" = '50s, "2" = '60s, "3" = 70s. Second Digit is the year of the decade the part was first used. "30" = 1970, "32" = '72, etc.

Best I could tell, Chrysler built ONE version of the parts book for the entire model year. Using the price schedule to hand any part number changes and such, on a quarterly basis. Any special notificaitons, mid-year or similar, would be by "Dealer Letter" . . . many of which are in Hamtramck Historical's Library section.

GM, on the other hand, built parts catalogs quarterly, which price books (with similar part number changes listed "in the back section", usually quarterly. In those quarterly parts book editions, if a part was a "new listing", it usually had an asterisk by it. In the initial edition of the new model year's book, a special "yellow page" section listed all of the new parts for that particular model year, which made it easier for parts managers to put in an initial "new part" order at that time.

I never have used the www.mymopar.com part number search to see how it works.

As for www.partsvoice.com, the initial version was by audio-input over phone lines. Worked pretty slick, back in the '80s! The ONE thing is that most of those parts are "for sale only", with no returns. Once you get it, it's yours. Which can also mean that any "shelf wear" or "repackaged" situation ends up in your lap. Which means that it might be what it says it is on the box, but it might be so old it's of little real value/use. If it really is what the part number says it is, that can also be questionable. So, just an advisory on these listings.

Vintage Parts International, in Beaver Falls, deals in every OEM's parts, it seems. It also seems that they have several different Internet sales portals, not being specifically for car dealerships anymore. Personally, I like dealing with them better, if possible. A lot of there stuff seems to be more later model items, too. With either vendor, the "free registration" is painless and then you can search to your heart's content.

In more recent times, it seems that both services have somewhat become overshadowed by OEM-power search engines, which dealerships and others have access to. Be that as it may. Usually, they are both listed on many of those services.

Enjoy!'
CBODY67

Now, you have to know how the Chrysler parts numbering system "happened". First Digit is decade first used. "1" = '50s, "2" = '60s, "3" = 70s. Second Digit is the year of the decade the part was first used. "30" = 1970, "32" = '72, etc.

Wow! That's something I never knew!

CBODY 67 said: "Now, you have to know how the Chrysler parts numbering system "happened". First Digit is decade first used. "1" = '50s, "2" = '60s, "3" = 70s. Second Digit is the year of the decade the part was first used. "30" = 1970, "32" = '72, etc."

That sounds entirely logical, however, I'm not so sure that actually always is the case - I know that there are a fair number of 28xx xxx numbers used in 1966.

I loved partsvoice's phone system back in the 90s.

I'm wondering what those particular 28-series part numbers might have been and on which platforms? 1966 was the last year of the body/frame Imperial, whose chassis dated to about '57, which could have had some parts which were upgraded to 1958 parts, which were then used for years later, possibly.

Seems like I remember seeing some 29-series part numbers in the '70 parts book, but don't remember what they were, specifically.

CBODY67

Fair amount of gear shift hardware as one example - starts with 2800 xxx
Time%20Machine.jpg

Back