How does Rockauto work???

cantflip

Old Jagoff with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have to admit, my biggest hangup with RA is the shipping. I have gone there many times, created a big wish list, and then tried to get the bill down to where I could stomach it.

The problem I continue to be befuddled by, while building or dismantling a list, is the number of warehouses. I put part #1 in the cart, part#2, part#3... part #4 shows as same warehouse, but suddenly my cart show another shipping location and additional expense. Toggle the part in/out no way around it, RA decided to azzole tax me another shipping location... apparently for buying more from them in one transaction.

I've tried in reverse... giant list, used the whole flippin alphabet listing warehouses... start elimination game... which is tough... You remove one of three items from that warehouse, BAM, everything re-letters as you have either just gotten rid of a warehouse, or... get this... ADDED ANOTHER???

I have, several times, spent well over an hour, "enjoying" this mental masturbation game. In most cases I ditch the RA cart and just buy what I need from a local store or Amazon (amazingly amazon prime often solves the price issue once shipping plays in... I have no more parts stores I want to support here in town.)

But, amazon sucks so, soo bad for some items. My latest cart includes a bunch of miniature lamp part numbers. I could just buy bulk chinese stuff for a few numbers, but who knows how pissed that would make me... Can't find a fair price on most of it outside of RA, so I'm working myself up to bite the bullet and buy. I want the selection so I can relamp stuff as I have access to assemblies (like instrument panels) so I eliminate old bulbs as I go... this should cost a few bucks, but will become a C note, quick, at the local blister pack selection.

OK, enough of my crap for now... tell me your best tricks for RA...

Just went through this same crap 3 days ago! Bastards did the same shipping bait and switch when I was attempting to buy rotors and drums. Multiple items were all coming from the same place until I wanted 2 of each, then it suddenly was coming from somewhere else. I said screw it, I'll be ordering again before I get to this brake job, I'll get the matching rotor and drum then.

The warehouse and shipping bit is a hassle. There's no two ways about it. I usually check there to get an idea of what it's going to cost me and then check local. Most of the time the prices are a little more local until you put the shipping and handling on top of the order.

It's a shame you don't have a local store you can support.

You have to understand that RA owns nothing. The warehouses don't belong to them, nor do the parts.

What they have done is business genius... They have managed to hook up all the inventory in a bunch of parts warehouses into one database. You make an order, they electronically pass that order on to whatever warehouse has the part and then that warehouse ships it. They box it and ship it to you with all RA name all over everything.

Example, I just ordered a blend door motor from RA for my Mercury. They had the best price and I wasn't in a hurry and it was a Motorcraft part. It showed up a few days later (record time) from a local warehouse. I immediately recognized the address as United Auto, the big player in town for wholesale auto parts.

My only beef is the returns since I'm in Canada, it is next to impossible to justify any returns unless it is a big ticket item

I always use RA as a base of what is out there. What I like is the detailed pictures, this comes in handy when you are upgrading your car, example 73 brakes on a 66 car.

I then usually shop local, but sometimes I can get better prices with RA, even with the shipping. There was a huge difference when I ordered rear axle bushings from them.

There are plenty of times I will order a couple items from them and the rest local. I rarely order every thing for a single job, from them.

Honestly, I never had good luck with RA. We have a local Bumper to Bumper store here that's pretty much old school. They give me a nice break on items, no extra shipping and hold onto your hat, use paper catalogs once in a while for parts when the computer doesn't tell them what they want to know!! Just Like a real parts house!!! I support them every chance I get and buying the guys donuts every so often doesn't hurt, but it's really because I like and appreciate them:thumbsup:

RA can be a pain to deal with, but I like the quality brands they offer. The cheap stuff is available at the box parts stores, but quality parts are not usually stocked.

An example is brake parts. I like to replace everything and RA has the brands I like, ships quickly, and gets it right 99% of the time. Good customer service too.

Trying to deal with the geek at the parts store, (What does a brake SHOE look like?), sometimes requires drugs to stay calm.

I look at stuff on RA from time to time and sometimes if the deal is really good I'll order from them. Sometimes I'll use it to snipe at the local guys' prices and I can save a couple bucks on occasion. Mostly I buy local cause I've known the guys for the last 30 years or more and while they often don't have what I need on the shelf, (and I give 'em crap about that), they can usually get it next day and returns are simple if I need to. Plus, I just pay the bill once a month.

OK, here's the deal as I see it and I absolutely believe it to be true.
I raised the shipping scam on Moparts years ago and caused such a SHITSTORM that RA was forced to defend itself with BS and lies in the thread. Since RA was an advertiser, I have to assume they got the thread locked and REMOVED!

I stated that RA's Checkout algorithms rigged the shipping "locations" to prevent sourcing from a single "warehouse" thus padding the bottom line.

I showed proof in the thread and that's when RA launched their Spin.

I took three parts, A, B, and C.
A and B came from Location #1, C from #2.
I then changed C to come from #1, and A then magically came from #3.
So, I then changed B to come from #3 and then C magically came from #1.
Moved B back to #1and C moved to #2.
And it never stopped.

I PROVED the RA shipping algorithm scam in the thread and when others were able to back it up, well.....
fan.gif

Rock Auto "was founded to take the mystery and complexity out of the auto parts business for the retail consumer". < Paraphrased from their words, not mine.

But like radical politicians and rock bands, they've sold out. and where they've failed is with their shipping. My stellar example.
I ordered a cog serpentine belt for my truck. No hurry , so I ordered standard ground. 3-5 day shipping
The part shipped from a warehouse in neighboring Arkansas, about a 3 hour drive away. 7 days and 4 surrounding states later, the part arrived at my door. My not so friendly CSR informed me that I should've paid 30.00 for 2 day shipping.

I reordered two belts last month and got them from a warehouse in TX in 3 days with standard shipping.

I suppose you could blame the stellar service of USPS, but I suspect skullduggery and conspiracy at several levels. So much for taking out the mystery.

While I can't answer your question my experiences with RA have been good. Even with shipping they beat the pants off the nationwide chains on pricing. I just replaced ceramic pads, rotors (centric branded), and all 4 strut assemblies (Monroe) on the wife's '04 Acura. RA- $557.95, shipping was $65.10. Ordered them on a Sunday, brakes and rear struts were delivered Wednesday, the fronts showed up Thursday (different warehouse). The local shops (Autozone, Advance, and O'Reilly's) wanted just over $600 for the strut assemblies themselves. Rock Auto has been "berry, berry good to me" Summit has a similar business model. A call to their customer service can usually get your multiple items consolidated to a single warehouse for shipping. I've never tried that with RA.

While I can't answer your question my experiences with RA have been good. Even with shipping they beat the pants off the nationwide chains on pricing. I just replaced ceramic pads, rotors (centric branded), and all 4 strut assemblies (Monroe) on the wife's '04 Acura. RA- $557.95, shipping was $65.10. Ordered them on a Sunday, brakes and rear struts were delivered Wednesday, the fronts showed up Thursday (different warehouse). The local shops (Autozone, Advance, and O'Reilly's) wanted just over $600 for the strut assemblies themselves. Rock Auto has been "berry, berry good to me" Summit has a similar business model. A call to their customer service can usually get your multiple items consolidated to a single warehouse for shipping. I've never tried that with RA.
I am not denying their prices are rock bottom but, like I said above...

If you're ordering ONE insanely expensive part and want to roll the dice on HOW LONG you have to wait AND you need it to be the right part that you ordered, ok then....

My only beef is the returns since I'm in Canada, it is next to impossible to justify any returns unless it is a big ticket item

That's very true and I've had a couple misses with them with the wrong parts in the right box which I can't really pin on them.One of them was a $10 bushing so I didn't bother,the other was for a pair of springs where one was the correct one and the other was for something completely different and was likely a screw up from the manufacturer.I called them about it and was told I could return them (on my shipping dollar) and they would send replacements to the same location where they sent the parts to the first time.That's all good and fine but I had the parts sent to Idaho to save on shipping as I was down there picking up a car so by the time I factored in time,logistics,return shipping,fuel and pick up costs to go back there,It was just cheaper to reorder on my dime and have them sent to me locally.Lesson learned was to open the boxes and verify the right parts before leaving the US.

I think that maybe the chains are feeling the pressure. I have an account with Advance Auto and the online discounts, plus the bonus bucks they give are now competitive with RA. Plus, it shows up at the local store in a day or two. NAPA is behind, as I think that they cater towards the shops more.

Also, when I told Advance that I was rebuilding a whole car they set up a "commercial" account for me. The discount to better than RA.

Got to love competition!

Back