How does the rear bumper come off?

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am feeling rather stupid. I have removed the 4 bolt holding my rear bumper on my ’66 300. It will not come off the car. I even took a piece of wood for protection and tried beating it off with a hammer. What am I missing, are the outside corners just rusted enough to not release the bumper?

You should have 4 mounting bolts (two each side) on the mounting frames at the back, then two (one each side) that attach the quarter panel stabilizing attachement outriggers. The bumper should just come off after that.

Thanks I didn't remove those outside bolts. They looked difficult to get to so I decided since there was no bolt head from the outside they didn't need to come out. The bumper was the last thing I was working on before I needed to leave for an appointment, so I never got to dig into any further, but now I know what I need to do. You definately saved me some time. Cheers! :eek:ccasion14:

Later Fuselage bumpers are also the same way, my parts car was so rotted I didn't even have to unbolt the outer bolts, they just ripped off, my restoration however is not the same, it is very hard to get into (atleast on my car) and the bolts have clearly never been off my car and are seized.

Hopefully you have better luck than me, but with how nice your car looks I'm sure you will.

Nick

Did you get the bumper off yet?

I need to work this week my fun is done until Saturday. I had a nice break and got alot done on the car, could have got more done but have been getting an education for sure.

Back