How far would you go?

Fast Eddie B

Reaction score
Motor and tranny out for rebuild. Body is solid. Paint is thin but no rust. 1 owner about 100k miles.

I am cleaning up the engine bay.... do is stop there? Just clean? I was going to get it mechanically sound, replace most of the interior (door cards, headliner, seats like new) and maybe the carpet. BUT the demon in the back of my mind says to do a full resto on the engine bay just Incase I decide to do it later....

3D2976BB-ED06-4797-ACE2-80118818B519.jpeg

Doesn't get any easier than it is now....... of course it's not me doing it either. (If it was it likely wouldn't be done for a year - just the engine bay)

Motor and tranny out for rebuild. Body is solid. Paint is thin but no rust. 1 owner about 100k miles.

I am cleaning up the engine bay.... do is stop there? Just clean? I was going to get it mechanically sound, replace most of the interior (door cards, headliner, seats like new) and maybe the carpet. BUT the demon in the back of my mind says to do a full resto on the engine bay just Incase I decide to do it later....

View attachment 157603

If you are going to have fun and drive it...no. You can pull the splash panels and paint them, relatively low cost. remove the Allstate decal from the heater box and pressure wash it (carefully!) and the rest of the compartment. Paint the top of the core support and the hood hinges. That will make it presentable. A full resto of the engine compartment will involve removing everything, stripping to bare metal and repainting or re-coating everything. Detail the engine itself and call it good unless you plan to park it and keep doing the restoration.

Dave

I’d do it now. That way when and if you decided to do the rest of the car you wouldn’t have to pull the engine again.

It would drive me nuts to have an engine bay that looks better than the car.

I’d get over it quick.
I did this very same thing on my convertible but I can say that the engine room didn’t look as good as the rest of the car.

The fresh engine is going to look out of place in a compartment that needs to be freshened up.

Do it now while the stuff is at the shop.

Hell take the whole front clip off and rebuild the suspension too, but seriously this is the time to do it the engine bay. It will put a smile on your face every time you pop the hood.

FB_IMG_1513702299628.jpg

I agree with those that would do the engine compartment now.
I leave the hood closed at shows anyway.

It drives me nuts when I see nice (refinished) cars with 50 year old grime under the hood.
Do it now, hows the suspension? time for a rebuild?

Alan
I didn't mean don't clean it. He was asking if he should paint it.
Why would you paint the engine bay and clear coat the rest of the car?

Last edited:
Back