How many New Yorker's Left?

77newyorker440

Reaction score
Good Afternoon,
I was talking about my car with my grandparents the other day, and they posed the question to me: How many New Yorkers, especially the 77's, are left? I know that 45,252 four doors were built and 16,875 two doors, which means that, in total, 62,127 New Yorkers were built for the 1977 model year. Does anyone have any estimates on how many are left? I know of 3, including my own, in the state of Virginia, but I am sure there are way more out there.
Thanks,
77newyorker440

With rusting, crushing and derbying going on every day, that's a bit of a moving target. You could start by tracking the cars owned by members of this forum and put up an internet site where non-members can register their cars. Then you know how many cars are being cared for. But those that no one cares about, how are you going to know?

I once tried something like that for 1995-1997 New Yorkers (EU) and noticed that they were being moved east: Baltic states, Russia and such. Very difficult to track!

With rusting, crushing and derbying going on every day, that's a bit of a moving target. You could start by tracking the cars owned by members of this forum and put up an internet site where non-members can register their cars. Then you know how many cars are being cared for. But those that no one cares about, how are you going to know?

I once tried something like that for 1995-1997 New Yorkers (EU) and noticed that they were being moved east: Baltic states, Russia and such. Very difficult to track!
Okay, I can look into creating that, but yeah, there are so many out there that are just rusting to the ground and uncared for, so it will be tough to document all of them

Good Afternoon,
I was talking about my car with my grandparents the other day, and they posed the question to me: How many New Yorkers, especially the 77's, are left? I know that 45,252 four doors were built and 16,875 two doors, which means that, in total, 62,127 New Yorkers were built for the 1977 model year. Does anyone have any estimates on how many are left? I know of 3, including my own, in the state of Virginia, but I am sure there are way more out there.
Thanks,
77newyorker440
That's a hypothetical question. Unless you are able to access a national car registration database we may never know. There is no way to tell.

Unless you are able to access a national car registration database we may never know.

That was one of the difficulties in that European project. The rules for accessing those databases differ wildly. With a little tweaking the Scandinavian databases were mostly accessible, for the Italian one you pay a small fee, and Germany turns out info only if you have legitimate reasons to ask. And you have to know beforehand what you will be asking, like VINs and such.

Given that the New Yorker is one of the longest uninterrupted nameplates, 1940-1996, and in '77 they made 62,127, of which we'll never know how many of that one year are left, your question is unanswerable.

I agree.
Seriously, WTF difference does it make to need to know how many are left.
I don't need to know how many are left, I was just interested into looking into it. Hopefully that clears it up, I am not dedicated to a project on this topic, Im pretty busy with highschool, extracurriculars, and building my car, I just thought maybe someone would have an idea or guess as to how many are left.

Given that the New Yorker is one of the longest uninterrupted nameplates, 1940-1996, and in '77 they made 62,127, of which we'll never know how many of that one year are left, your question is unanswerable.
Okay, thanks for letting me know, I just thought I'd look into it, seemed like a pretty interesting query, maybe next summer I'll try to start a database for all the surviving 77 New Yorkers, at least to get an idea of how many are left and being cared for. Either way, it will be a tough project, but it could yield pretty cool results, it will just take me time with being busy with everything going on.

I think it's great that you are still in high school and have a '77 New Yorker. We need young guys like you to keep this hobby going and keep these old cars on the road. Keep up the good work.

I think it's great that you are still in high school and have a '77 New Yorker. We need young guys like you to keep this hobby going and keep these old cars on the road. Keep up the good work.
Thank you, Sir! My dad got me into it and I'm tryna keep the family MoPar tradition alive.

I have a fully loaded solid 77 NY sunroof coupe. I saved it from scrapyard. It's F/S,but there is not much interest! I will be offering up for parts soon. 77 sunroof NY coupe
Yep, I believe I read through that forum a few months back, if I had more cash and also needed a parts car, I would purchase it but pretty much all I need is a rear reflector, the map light, the wood trim covers for the door handle screws, and a courtesy light cover for one of the doors. However, if I needed more, I would probably head right over and purchase the car.

Way to go Stan!!, nice words of encouragement for the younger crowd who want to keep our beautiful hobby going. :mad::poke::rolleyes:
Ya gotta teach'em young on what's really important about the hobby. Not the boolchit that the Chevy and Ford guys get all wrapped up in because there are more important issues. Like finding the LAST New Yorker. :D

Humans want finite answers even when none exist. We don’t do well when there is no answer. We make up stuff to ease our own minds.

The incorrect or flat out wrong use of the partial info that is available (1 of 12 with......) muddies the water and infers that finite answers exist to all questions.

Back