How many Still Registered?

Hank

Reaction score
How many of the 77k 69-72 T & C wagons do you think are still registered and operational? I'm guessing that many of them were crushed in the late 70's or early 80's or we destroyed at the demo derby's across the country.

Obviously only a guess but I would say less than 5%. Probably 2.5% ... Many wagons were family cars and work vehicles. They didn't see much love or garage time.

Obviously only a guess but I would say less than 5%. Probably 2.5% ... Many wagons were family cars and work vehicles. They didn't see much love or garage time.

I agree and would imagine the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc owners definitely didn't show them love or garage time

We have a bit better statistics for German car registrations, still not true to the Point as some collector plates for several cars can not be included, according to These numbers average survival rate is well below 1 percent for popular car lines of that era even taking some unknown factors in consideration.

Sadly I would say that the ones no longer registered and sitting in salvage yards have taken a huge hit since scrap metal prices went up.

The OP say 77 k over 4 years built . My guess was 2.5 % but thinking those numbers through that would mean 2000 still registered..... yeah,I gotta cut that number in half to 1000 at best

We had domestic sales of a popular GM model of 380.000 cars sold between 1960-63. Of These 25 years later we had a Registration number of a bit over 1000. I'd generously add another 1000 surviving in reasonable condition which would add up to .52 percent. But that was in 1987 and included all Body styles !

Last edited:
But Klaus your numbers are for salty germany with a tough inspection.
In the US there are a) some rustbuckets still on the road (or barn) and B) a huge part of the US has a way better climate which is car friendly so more cars survived (sheetmetal wise), C) there is no real tough inspection (compared to germany), D) lots of space in the US (for the most part), cars have been kept and not always sent to the salvage yard. I think there is a decent amount of them still out there, I guess somewhere between 2-2,5% (including some hiding in garages/barns etc)

Carsten

The question was how many registered. Not sitting in a garage or field.
I don't think I've seen one in passing for probably 25 years.

Scrap prices are way DOWN right now, thankfully; so if you find a rough "C" somewhere, it might pay to check it out - knowing what the scrap in your area is selling for in advance - and approach the owner.

There used to be a company that claimed to know how many of whatever were still registered and on the road in all 50 states, and would tell you for a fee, of course. I wonder if they still exist.

Not much left here in the most crowded state in the Union.... but every now and then something pops out of the woods

Back