How original does this look to you?

mgm1986

Reaction score
Alright guys, as I ponder my goals for the Fury, I was hoping some of you would be able to tell me what appears correct, and more importantly, incorrect, under the hood. '68 Fury III Convertible w/318 and no A/C. Aside from the 20oz coca cola bottle as a coolant overflow zip tied in which you can't see in the pics! ;-)

670.jpg671.jpg672.jpg

670.jpg

671.jpg

672.jpg

Asside from the plug wires, fuel filter, radiator cap and double pulley on the altinator shes looking pretty original. Just a lot of detailing ahead of you. Take a lot of pictures as you go and just pay attention to surface finishes if original is your concern.

It looks very original if I had to guess, except the spark plug wires and that alternator looks to be replaced. The orange overspray on the engine parts looks factory.

Cool, thanks all!

Commando, that is a big part of what sold me on the car. Not only was it clean under the hood, it started right up and sounds great! Of course until I can crawl under completely to check for rot and change all the fluids I won't know what may be hidden, would be surprised if anything. At some point I intend to pull the engine and get all the little rust spots cleaned and repaired before they become holes.

that's good lookin. don't change anything. only if its broke. maybe change the rubber and the filter on the fuel line like said above ^^, just so its new and fresh. change all the fluids and drive that sucker.

A complete and thorough PM (Preventative Maintenance) will get you on the road and you can take care of what should then be minor issues from there.

PCV valve and master cylinder cover.
After 46 years, that's damn good.

It looks very original if I had to guess, except the spark plug wires and that alternator looks to be replaced. The orange overspray on the engine parts looks factory.

Hurumph... I would have thought the factory color a little darker like the orange on the timing cover rather than the orange on the water pump and the intake.

A 68 318 should be red, not even close to orange, I'm guessing it may have been freshened up in place at one time.

Kickdown linkage never had overspray.

Alan

It shows that I'm a big block guy. I thought about the color not being right but figured the way it looked made me think factory.

It appears on the firewall to have a outline of a cleaner area by the heater hoses. Perhaps nothing but looks like outline of a evaporator housing. It is noticable on the photos.

A 68 318 should be red, not even close to orange, I'm guessing it may have been freshened up in place at one time.

Kickdown linkage never had overspray.

Alan

This is very useful info when I eventually pull it for a resto! I was told it had been through a partial restore 8 years ago and no details on what exactly that entails.

As mentioned above, my intention is to change all fluids, inspect/replace rubber lines (not tires, they are like new), repair the leak in the radiator and drive the heck out of her!

[QUOTEAs mentioned above, my intention is to change all fluids, inspect/replace rubber lines (not tires, they are like new), repair the leak in the radiator and drive the heck out of her![/QUOTE]That is the best way to enjoy your Chrysler.

It appears on the firewall to have a outline of a cleaner area by the heater hoses. Perhaps nothing but looks like outline of a evaporator housing. It is noticable on the photos.

Do you happen to have a picture of this? I zoomed in a bit and what appears as a cleaner area by the heater hoses is a metal seem of sorts, which is indeed cleaner looking.

looks like the S bend was removed from the fuel line

looks like the S bend was removed from the fuel line

The lower line should hug the block a little better, could have a replacement carb that is layed out differently, or the fuel filter is a little longer than the original. Something to look at.

Alan

To me it looks like a heater hose busted and sprayed off the dirt on the firewall. Or someone forgot to drain the system before changing those hoses and that's where they started.

To me it looks like a heater hose busted and sprayed off the dirt on the firewall. Or someone forgot to drain the system before changing those hoses and that's where they started.

This actually wouldn't surprise me and is a good thought. The heater core was recently replaced, all the coolant hoses appear like new and the coolant is fresh. And as I noted in another post, the radiator has sprung a pinhole leak. So it sounds like the previously leaks may have been corrected putting the right amount of pressure back in the system causing another weak spot to pop!

The lower line should hug the block a little better, could have a replacement carb that is layed out differently, or the fuel filter is a little longer than the original. Something to look at.

Alan

Definitely going to look at this, good call!

Is that a cast iron water pump i spy? By 1968 they would have been allloy would they not?

Back