how rare is a 65 Monaco 426 4-speed???

chrisnben

Reaction score
So I found a 1965 Monaco in original condition, black on black 426 street wedge & 4-speed. Has been off the road forever. Kind of a land barge diamond in the rough.

After a little research, I found there were only (3) 65 Sport Furys made w/ the 426 & 4-spd. So I'm assuming the Monaco would be similar or even 1 of 1?

I can contact Galen G. tomorrow, but if anyone has info, that would be great! ~Ben

Screw Galen. He knows crap.
You have a very rare car.
With C-bodies, x of xx numbers is meanless.
Welcome.

Wanna sell it?

PS
After a little research, I found there were only (3) 65 Sport Furys made w/ the 426 & 4-spd.
Where did those #s come from?

Very interesting car.

Can we see a picture of the fender tag?

I was just going off the 2 Sport Furys listed recently for a gizillion dollars that they were 1 of 3.

Anyway, today- I just baited the hook with the guy, looked at the 1" dust covered car, peeked in the opened passenger door (yep, stick shift console, etc.) and exchanged phone #'s. I probally will give it a week or two, then hit the 70 year old guy up. Very nice man and there my next car sits quietly :) He bought it from his friend a long time ago- who bought it NEW. Rock solid car needing one lower quarter patch. The car was pushed up against the wall, so I couldn't look at the tag or driver's door.

Where did those #s come from?

I don't know where some of the numbers come from, but the appraiser that did my 300 a few weeks ago noted that his sources came up with 17 non-letter 65 300 convertibles with a 4 speed. Interesting for sure, but that rarity wasn't worth a whole lot.

Very interesting car.

Can we see a picture of the fender tag?

My thoughts also. Not dissing the old timer, but it could still be a 383 car. Proof is in the data plate. If it pans out to be a 426W-4speed, it would be at least two in existence counting mine. Obviously, I am very curious to see the proof.

A guy just joined here about 2 months ago who has one i believe.

My thoughts also. Not dissing the old timer, but it could still be a 383 car. Proof is in the data plate. If it pans out to be a 426W-4speed, it would be at least two in existence counting mine. Obviously, I am very curious to see the proof.

I was surprised to see you take so long to respond

yeah, I should have opened the hood, etc. but didn't want to push it. No worries- I'll be back over there this week cause I can't sleep without knowing too! It needs to be in my driveway :) Other than the obvious engine pad, what part of the data tag is the 426? Would it also be the 5th letter on the VIN? My 68 cuda is a H (for 383)- for sale BTW. I'm good with the later fender tags, but not mid 60's.

Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Best of luck getting this deal done.

The VIN does you no good for engine ID. On the data plate under AB is where the engine code is. If it is a 383 it will have 62, if it is a 426W it will have 80.

FWIW- I spoke with Galen's office today regarding the '65 Monaco. There were (154) 426W with 4-speeds made. Now- how many are left & still complete ?? Then break it down by color (this one is black/black), etc. It's no wonder that you don't see any of these! I ordered the 62-65 production/option codes, part#'s, and casting# books, so if anyone needs info, I'll have them this week. ~B

I find that hard to believe... My guess is he is pulling that number out of his *** and will tell you that is his educated guess as he walks by 10 oddball c bodies to go look at another damn e body... Not mine which is less than 300 or so of which how many are bigblocks, most where small blocks then take away the 2-4 bbl difference I would venture to say mine is less than 25-30 total but run Galean and go see if it is one of 666 hemi cudas. Rant over!!!!

When it comes to c bodies I would say you will find more reliable info here than his bias data base. I learn something here almost every day about c bodies.

Why this hard-on over #s????
It's rare.
Leave it at that.
It's a C-body, not an A, B, or E.
Long time C-body guys don't give a ****.
And I said Galen doesn't know a C-body from a a Buick.

My dad hated Galen since the 90s i thought how dare he hate such a mopar guru.....i will admit now he was totally right, He is a A$$hole lol.

It's rare.
Leave it at that.

now that's funny! Yep- I like to be the unique guy and that's about it. C's are very cool! I've owned a few. One thing I do know- gonna hop this Monaco up to embarrass a few Chebby's around here :3gears:

As others stated GG has no knowledge of C bodies. Unless it says HEMI or six pack he won't look at it. Any dealings with his office is wasted time, besides, I thought he retired to sell cars.

If you want to "hop it up" what's the difference anyway?

It's rare.
Leave it at that.

:laughing4:

now that's funny! Yep- I like to be the unique guy and that's about it. C's are very cool! I've owned a few. One thing I do know- gonna hop this Monaco up to embarrass a few Chebby's around here :3gears:

:worthless_thread:

FWIW- I spoke with Galen's office today regarding the '65 Monaco. There were (154) 426W with 4-speeds made. Now- how many are left & still complete ?? Then break it down by color (this one is black/black), etc. It's no wonder that you don't see any of these! I ordered the 62-65 production/option codes, part#'s, and casting# books, so if anyone needs info, I'll have them this week. ~B

Never going to say never, but I would think that IF there were 154 made, more than just mine,and possibly what you found, would be out there. Does not seem logical to me. A special car is still a special no matter what. Not all would still be around but the oddballs tend to survive ata better rate than a run of the mill model. Just my two cents.

Back