For Sale How rare is cross ram? Not mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chrysler made a 400 B engine in 1972 to replace the 383. The 400 was made until the end of the 1978 model year.

BTW, the 400 has a bigger bore than a 440.

I believe the correct term would be "Long Ram". Standard on earlier '60s Chrysler 300 Letter Cars. All with RB 413s. Maybe a few on B 383s in Plymouths? Not completely sure.

That length gave a boost to mid-range torque, but NOT top end power. One Carter AFB per side, so about 1000cfm total available. More of a mid-range, >5500rpm power peak. Some cut them apart and shortened the internal dividers on the cyl head end for better top end performance, but a lot of work for little gain.

"Cross Ram" had shorter runners and larger plenums, by comparison. If an engine has a "cross ram" intake, that also means the cam should have been upgraded to increase the engines power and high-rpm power production. Kind of like a "shoe box tunnel ram" for each side of the motor.

Those bare Long Rams have to have all of the related throttle linkage to make them work! Plus 2 carburetors (450-500cfm each). Otherwise, it makes a good (bead blasted) conversation piece that needs to be on its intended vehicle application.

CBODY67

That's actually a ram induction set up. The crossrams were on the 413 and 426 max wedge and 426 Hemi engines. The ram induction system was used on the Dodge D500's, Plymouth Somoramic engines and Chrysler 300s in the early 60's. (383 &413's) There are two versions, long and short rams. They are rare enough, there seems to be a few around but most I have seen are missing the linkages, balance tube, block off plates etc. The exhaust manifolds are the hardest to come by.
The rams will fit all B/RB engines.

In one respect, a more modern cable linkage might be configured along the same lines as the prior "rod" linkage. The exhaust manifolds were unique, but also had a carb heat provision for each side. Some headers with a "built' hot air stove (ala later '60s) could be fabbed, possibly. Seems like the balance tube had some rubber hose sections? Use some modern aluminum heads without heat crossover passages, too?

The longer divider sections in the runner pairs was what "tuned" the intake to the lower-midrange rpm levels, where resonating columns of air resulted in a mild "super charging" affect for greater cylinder filling. Shortening those dividers moved the resonance rpm higher, more like 4000rpm or so. But the longer length had it's own restricting dynamics for ultimate air flow, it was noted. Hence the factory-backed drag racers used the normal 2x4bbl intakes or the later NASCAR-style cross-rams (with NASCAR using the 1x4bbl version only). ALL with better 6000rpm+ horsepower.

The "chintziest" cross-ram set-up ever was on the '82 Camaro Z/28s. Two 1bbl TBI units, one on each side, with what appeared to be a "performance intake" under them. Only thing was that the runners in the intake manifold had the bottom 1/3rd removed, so much shorter than the normal intake runner AND the intake port in the cyl head. One BIG ledge for that a/f mixture to fall off of when it got to the cyl head! Similar set-up used on the '82 Corvette 350s, both later replaced with the superior "Tuned Port FI" units. Many replaced those earlier dual-TBI set-ups with an aftermarket Edelbrock or Holley 4bbl intake and 600cfm carb for BETTER performance. AND no water intrusion issues via the factory hood scoop! Racy looks did not equate into "racy" performance.

CBODY67

CBODY67

This a ram set up on my 66 Newport 383. I used 1406 Edelbrock carbs with electric chokes and it runs great! Be aware that these will not fit under every cars hood. I had to clearance the right fendereell to gain enough room for the intake.

20180505_092003.jpg

If I remember right, Daisy Duke had that ram setup on the Plymouth Satellite or Road Runner she drove in the old Dukes of Hazzard show.
I always wanted one but complete setups are out of my price range and as already noted most that you find are not complete.

Here's an original '60 300F with the crossram.

IMG_0795.JPG

Here is perhaps the best use of one I have ever seen. Motor was a 413 and the car was totally cool!

IMG_4542.JPG
IMG_4544.JPG

Some time ago a link was posted on this site for a (Cordoba?Magnum?) that was for sale. It had been modified with this intake setup...I saved a picture.
00k0k_9mh8dLPg3IR_1200x900.jpg

They are rare enough, there seems to be a few around but most I have seen are missing the linkages, balance tube, block off plates etc.
This^^

I got a set of these intakes, and yes, they are missing everything. There are always a few sets being sold it seems, and complete sets with everything aren't cheap. Mine might make it onto a vehicle someday, til then, they are a conversation piece.

IMG_20170510_104724.jpg

You might want to look for manufacturer part/casting numbers, for the sake of authentication. I think the vintage items would be square bore, unless yours have been modified.
Thats a very good point! I've seen a number of these rams that have been modified. Choke wells and or the exhaust heat passages cut off, or the carb flange bores removed. At that point to me they're not as cool and the value is gone. Not sure abt the functionality after mods either.

You might want to look for manufacturer part/casting numbers, for the sake of authentication. I think the vintage items would be square bore, unless yours have been modified.
I know mine are stock, but only found a casting number on one. Not modified at all.

I know mine are stock, but only found a casting number on one. Not modified at all.
You'll only find one casting number. I believe its because they are one manifold....although being two parts....I know it can be confusing!!
All the sets I have or have seen has just the one number on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back