How to make someone get a headache!

tdenkler

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen! Greetings!
You would thing after eleventy billion years of being a mopar nut I would know this. I'm clueless!
What is the difference between the K 440 350 horse and the L 440 375 horse. This started back in 59 with 413 340 horse and 413 360 horse.
Supposedly cams are the same, same intake, where does the extra 25 horses come from!
Tom Denkler
[email protected]

I'm taking a shot in the dark, Tom, but I thought K code 440's were L code 440's with a milder cam and (with a carburetor change) for police duty.

Makes sense, but they did this from the beginning with RB motors. I heard a knowledgable source say RB cams were the same except for 67 HP, 300J/K, etc. I know the 62-63 361 4bbl was a screamer. Had to have hot cam to go with huge 4bbl secondaries. I wonder if 440 K and L motors had diff exhaust manifolds? could that make 15-25 more horses?

Cam profiles were different, the HP 440 got different exhaust manifolds and dual exhaust. And as mentioned different carbs... I am not sure if compression ratios were different between the two. Not to mentione a slight improvement in intake air flow afforded by dual snorkel air cleaners. In 68, on Imperials, they had a "440 Dual" High Performance V-8 Package which includes Dual-Snorkel Air Cleaner and Dual Exhausts optional version of the K code 440 that was rated at 360 hp, so the dual snorkel intake and exhaust improvement alone was worth 10hp according to Chrysler.

Exhaust, higher compression heads, cam.

Exhaust and exhaust manifolds... :yes:

Higher compression heads... :no:

Cam... :yes:

The compression differences in the RB 440 standard vs. HP was in '71 and was due to the compression hieght of the pistons and not the heads... The same holds true for compression differences in the 2bbl to 4bbl and HP 383s.

The difference in the heads was in the valve springs. The HP/TNT engines had higher pressure springs with dampeners. ('67 HPs had larger exhaust valves and starting in '68 all the B/RB exhaust valves were bumped up in diameter, the same year the open chambers were introduced.)

Cam lift specs for a '68 440 K-code 350hp are .425" intake and .437" exhaust with duration at 256 and 260.

The HP 440 L-code 375hp are .450" intake and .465" exhaust with duration at 268 and 284.

Last edited:
What is the difference between the K 440 350 horse and the L 440 375 horse.

The L code 440's used a different cam profile, larger carb, larger, better flowing exhaust manifolds and dual exhaust. All else was the same as the K code 440's.

Back