How to make vinyl stickers, ie. registration, county

shooter65

Reaction score
Ok, so a couple years ago, after I got my plate restored, I bought an aftermarket reproduction Pennsylvania 70 registration sticker for my 69 Fury. Now, when I retire, we plan to move to Tennessee but I can't find anyone that makes the registration stickers or county stickers for Tennessee. I was thinking about trying it myself but all the videos I've come across on the internet seem to be lacking in details. Has anyone tried this?

s-l1600.jpg

1970 Registration Sticker.JPG

Ok, so a couple years ago, after I got my plate restored, I bought an aftermarket reproduction Pennsylvania 70 registration sticker for my 69 Fury. Now, when I retire, we plan to move to Tennessee but I can't find anyone that makes the registration stickers or county stickers for Tennessee. I was thinking about trying it myself but all the videos I've come across on the internet seem to be lacking in details. Has anyone tried this?

View attachment 377031
View attachment 377032
I believe that is totally illegal. You can buy some of that stuff online but that don’t make it okay. Looks really cool but I’d never do it.

On a side note. In the 80’s my stupid brother put the plates from my 69 GTX on his 69 roadrunner and visa versa. What got him arrested was that the idiot put the tags from my car on his plate and visa versa. So wrong plate with wrong tags = handcuffs. I had to bring my car down and explain what happened. Then we had to get his roadrunner out of impound. We paid the extra $150 to spring it that night and sure enough they were already trying to part it out.

100% cluster#%$&. Good luck don’t go to jail...

One item might relate to IF that plate can now be run instead of a state-supplied Antique-registration plate. In which case, it'd have a current year sticker, state-supplied.

FWIW, there is a way to print a "water-slide" decal, but finding the media the original sticker was printed on might be tricky, AND expensive due to the amount you'd probably have to purchase.

Why not use some of the model year plates like they used at the new car car shows instead? Might be able to glue some magnets to the back of them, to stick over the existing plates, when at shows.

Better check the state laws which you might end up violating, first. Which can probably be found online, on the state's official website.

CBODY67

I believe that is totally illegal. You can buy some of that stuff online but that don’t make it okay. Looks really cool but I’d never do it.

On a side note. In the 80’s my stupid brother put the plates from my 69 GTX on his 69 roadrunner and visa versa. What got him arrested was that the idiot put the tags from my car on his plate and visa versa. So wrong plate with wrong tags = handcuffs. I had to bring my car down and explain what happened. Then we had to get his roadrunner out of impound. We paid the extra $150 to spring it that night and sure enough they were already trying to part it out.

100% cluster#%$&. Good luck don’t go to jail...

These are state to state laws, I have no idea what crazy **** California does but in Pennsylvania and Tennessee to get the plate registered you must take a picture of the plate and send it to the DMV for approval and registration. If the plate is restored, including restoration tag and county sticker when you take the picture, and is approved by the DMV, the plate is the legal plate for that vehicle, including the registration and county stickers on the plate.

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/dvspubsforms/BMV/BMV Fact Sheets/fs-ant.pdf

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/dvspubsforms/BMV/BMV Forms/mv-11V.pdf

One item might relate to IF that plate can now be run instead of a state-supplied Antique-registration plate. In which case, it'd have a current year sticker, state-supplied.

FWIW, there is a way to print a "water-slide" decal, but finding the media the original sticker was printed on might be tricky, AND expensive due to the amount you'd probably have to purchase.

Why not use some of the model year plates like they used at the new car car shows instead? Might be able to glue some magnets to the back of them, to stick over the existing plates, when at shows.

Better check the state laws which you might end up violating, first. Which can probably be found online, on the state's official website.

CBODY67

Pennsylvania has allowed YOM plates since 2013, I think Tennessee is more recent but also allow YOM plates. Very simple in Pennsylvania and Tennessee, take a pic of the plate you want to register, send it to the DMV of the appropriate state, they verify the number is unique and the plate is legible and not altered beyond what the plate should look like for the YOM or YOM range, ie. 65 to 70 for my car in Pennsylvania, 66 to 70 for my car in Tennessee. They register the plate to your car. Simply look up Year Of Manufacture license plate on each state to see if they allow it. It seems most states have modeled their law around whoever did it first because states that allow it all have very similar laws around their use. In Pennsylvania and Tennessee, the registration is a lifetime registration which does not require yearly stickers but does not preclude them from being on the plate if the sticker is correct for the YOM. I have my Pennsylvania issued plate and registration card for my 1969 Plymouth Fury on my car and the registration card matches my plate. Nothing crazy or questionable going on here. It is totally legal and the law is designed for just this purpose.

I'm actually surprised you and @The Goose weren't already aware of this. I thought YOM plate registration was commonly known within automotive circles.

Pennsylvania has allowed YOM plates since 2013, I think Tennessee is more recent but also allow YOM plates. Very simple in Pennsylvania and Tennessee, take a pic of the plate you want to register, send it to the DMV of the appropriate state, they verify the number is unique and the plate is legible and not altered beyond what the plate should look like for the YOM or YOM range, ie. 65 to 70 for my car in Pennsylvania, 66 to 70 for my car in Tennessee. They register the plate to your car. Simply look up Year Of Manufacture license plate on each state to see if they allow it. It seems most states have modeled their law around whoever did it first because states that allow it all have very similar laws around their use. In Pennsylvania and Tennessee, the registration is a lifetime registration which does not require yearly stickers but does not preclude them from being on the plate if the sticker is correct for the YOM. I have my Pennsylvania issued plate and registration card for my 1969 Plymouth Fury on my car and the registration card matches my plate. Nothing crazy or questionable going on here. It is totally legal and the law is designed for just this purpose.

I'm actually surprised you and @The Goose weren't already aware of this. I thought YOM plate registration was commonly known within automotive circles.
IIRC, YOM plates could be applied to a different vehicle (take a plate from one car and associate it with another car). I had one lined up to do this and had a plate and the title of the car that it had come from. I had junked that car. I peeled off the year stickers to reveal the 1965 year sticker. This too was required. This was for my 65 Mustang, Tigger.
I believe that one can obtain a new ‘black & gold’ plate, like mine.

These are state to state laws, I have no idea what crazy **** California does but in Pennsylvania and Tennessee to get the plate registered you must take a picture of the plate and send it to the DMV for approval and registration. If the plate is restored, including restoration tag and county sticker when you take the picture, and is approved by the DMV, the plate is the legal plate for that vehicle, including the registration and county stickers on the plate.

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/dvspubsforms/BMV/BMV Fact Sheets/fs-ant.pdf

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/dvspubsforms/BMV/BMV Forms/mv-11V.pdf
I was talking Arizona laws and it is crazy. It’s illegal to sell a car on an open title now. I believe it’s a misdemeanor. I sold hundreds of cars like that back in the day. Az is very paranoid about the plates & stickers they even tell you to slash an X thru them to keep someone from peeling it off. I think a lot of it was taxes and photoradar driven. I’m sure nobody’s gonna hassle you for having something that cool on the show field but if you make em I wouldn’t sell em...

You can run old plates in Az and Calif but only with current tags. That’s pretty cool they let you guys run em like that. Believe it or not Az is worse than Calif as far as registering and emissions. NOW that’s crazy !!!

Altered forged plate is a big deal crime out here.

That sucks Arizona and Cal are so difficult. It sounds like the big difference is the lifetime registration for classic/antique plates in PA and TN. Not much chance of someone stealing a registration sticker that's been expired for 40 years in PA. LOL..

Back