How to open tailgate 1965 New Yorker wagon

Agreed - we've now ascertained the motor is getting power, so try freeing it up and see if it moves.

Lube the joints and tracks in the regulator and window bottom too.

Watch your fingers.

Agreed - we've now ascertained the motor is getting power, so try freeing it up and see if it moves.

Lube the joints and tracks in the regulator and window bottom too.

Watch your fingers.
How about for some extra assistance, a small hook on a wire coat hanger to go over the top of the window from the outside? An assistant could provide a little downward pressure on the glass to help the motor along, maybe just enough to get some movement.
shruggy.gif

Thanks for the advice, I already gave it a love tap, I'll hit her a little more

There's got to be a way to easily lower it...or Chrysler didn't care about that when it was designed lol

Figure that the whole thing is gummed up and the power motor has a problem. There are two retainers that hold the window regulator to the glass. One removed you my be able to lower the glass which is required to open. Also, the entire regulator and motor assembly is only held to the tailgate with hour bolts, so that may also ease access. Ill sent a shop manual photo in a moment.
M

The plant put the regulator and motor in as an assembly, and that is how it comes out, and how you service the motor. Whatever you do, DO NOT remove the motor from the regulator without a vise grip or clamp securely holding the regulator arms in place. Trust me.

Once all of the window stuff is out of the way, a thorough lubricating spray on the latch and handle mechanisms should get the door to respond.

The plant put the regulator and motor in as an assembly, and that is how it comes out, and how you service the motor. Whatever you do, DO NOT remove the motor from the regulator without a vise grip or clamp securely holding the regulator arms in place. Trust me.
Awesome thank you, how do you remove the rollers from the track on the window without rolling it down? Looks like just a internal star washer you pry off?

There's no way to get at those washers without the window coming down

I've applied power again, and tapped on the motor, no go

I pryed they tab up to get at the motor gear. Tried to spin it, no luck

Looks like I have to drop the regulator down to get at the washers, wish me luck...

Anywhere I can get a new motor since I'll have it apart? Any more modern window motors that are like it, so I can replace the electric parts?

I am not sure about modern replacements for the tailgate window motor... door windows have lots of options... but I'm not sure about the tailgate.

I am not sure about modern replacements for the tailgate window motor... door windows have lots of options... but I'm not sure about the tailgate.
I've read that alot of them are the same, except tail Gates and quarter windows were autolite, and regular Windows were Delco

Anywhere I can get a new motor since I'll have it apart? Any more modern window motors that are like it, so I can replace the electric parts?
Look for an electric motor rebuilding shop in your area. Sometimes they can replace the copper windings.

Success!! After pounding in the motor about another 10 minutes, and tapping the down switch at the same time, I got it to go halfway down!!

These seem like they are screws not starwashers..

IMG_20200402_150152902.jpg

Back