How to open tailgate 1965 New Yorker wagon

Those motors are pretty rugged and simple. You may be able to take it apart and clean up the bushing in the end cover. That's usually where they bind up from sitting and collecting moisture.

Those motors are pretty rugged and simple. You may be able to take it apart and clean up the bushing in the end cover. That's usually where they bind up from sitting and collecting moisture.
That's what I'm hoping for, thanks for the number!

Now I see the star washer...looks like removing that is the only way to get it out? I wouldn't be able to get at the far screws I believe

If so, any tips? Will it just be a juggling act to get the regulator out, seems pretty tight

IMG_20200403_141141998.jpg

Looks like I found the core problem. I removed the star washers, and the window barely moves, it's sticking in the channel. I got it soaking in PB blaster, hopefully I can get it to mov

Well, got it down. Latch handle still doesn't move. I even tried to slightly pry it over, won't move. I have it soaking in PB blaster

PB Blaster and patience go a long way. Tapping with a small hammer, possibly putting a small flame on it briefly too. Glad you are making progress.

PB Blaster and patience go a long way. Tapping with a small hammer, possibly putting a small flame on it briefly too. Glad you are making progress.
I've been tapping/prying, no luck so far

I still haven't figured out how the glass interlock works ( if it has one) and I'm wondering if that's still on

Here are pics from the parts catalogue, showing the breakdown of the tailgate, and more importantly, the latch mechanism and how it works.
TAILGATE-829.jpg
TAILGATE-830.jpg

23-54-167 is a switch, looks like it's maybe around the latch, you know what that is?

I provided two diagrams - which one?

Also, there is no switch or electrical interlock with the latch mechanism of any sort. The interlock only prevents the tailgate glass from being raised when the tailgate is open.

If the glass is down and the latch mechanism operational, the tailgate should open.

Page 23-281 the bigger parts diagram, just curious what that switch is

Mopar 440 can you see/find the switch yourself or is it hard to see/find? I would say trace the wiring from it to wherever it is going...?

7B8DEFA5-1F67-4E07-A983-ABADBCB18C69.jpeg

Can you put electricity directly to the motor itself through the wiring harness? It ought to operate that way, if you can. Sometimes I take a 12v battery charger and hook up the alligator clips to the wires directly and try to get things to work that way. Start out with a 2 amp setting, and if that doesn’t seem to be enough power, try the 10 amp setting...that way you don’t burn up something accidentally. I would think the motor could handle 10 amps no problem but it’s good to be cautious at first.

Back