How to open tailgate 1965 New Yorker wagon

Sweet!! What part of the country did the car come from? Was it Minnesota? General condition? Interior should clean up nicely. I used lithium grease on the tailgate slide rod, after PB. Disassembly and cleaning a good idea. More pics!
Came from South Dakota. Was off the road since late 70s I think. Rust wise, very solid, lots of surface rust tho. I think it was stored in a lean too type building, it has lots of pine needles

Interior isn't too bad, front seats had been recovered in sometype or vinyl material. Years of leaking weather strips ruined the carpet, new stuff should be here tomorrow. Fairly solid car to start with. Por15 on the floor boards

I threw out my back yesterday, there was a bag of tire chains in the spare tire well, I didn't think they'd be that heavy... I'll try to get some more pics up. Window/regulator Is out

It’s a great color. The fact that it isn’t rusted all to pieces is a big plus. Surface rust can be stopped/mitigated. Super!

The patina is nice on it. I might leave it, or vinyl wrap it like my charger, depends on time. I really want it back in the road first, it runs/drives/stops so far. Prepping for the new carpet that should be here tomorrow.

Roof rack is enormous! Kids are fighting who gets the maiden voyage in the reat seat lol

IMG_20200406_114103058.jpg

IMG_20200406_114117315.jpg

IMG_20200406_114151083.jpg

That interior is very solid, it will clean up well. I like the metal instrument panels, they have a lot of eye appeal. Heavy switchgear that goes “click” and “thunk”. Nice. Yeah. Kids are gonna love it.

That interior is very solid, it will clean up well. I like the metal instrument panels, they have a lot of eye appeal. Heavy switchgear that goes “click” and “thunk”. Nice. Yeah. Kids are gonna love it.
Yeah, pad and gauges are good. I had to pick open glove box, so hopefully there's a code on it to get a key cut, or just buy a new lock. No holes in the floor. Just a tear in the bottom of the second row seat, hoping I can find a new cover just for the bottom

If that black vinyl is generic enough, should be just about any auto upholstery shop can fix it.

Thanks for posting the pics! That adds value to the story.

The roof styling is interesting. It appears the chrome (stainless?) strips are there not just for looks but to serve as rests for luggage or other roof loads. Clever touch.

Yes, the actual motor is the rusted thing. Took it apart, actually clean and in good shape

Is it all sealed up pretty well or any use in putting a little 3-in-1 oil on a seal/shaft?

Is it all sealed up pretty well or any use in putting a little 3-in-1 oil on a seal/shaft?
It was pretty incased in that tar stuff. Nothing made it inside. I used sythetic grease. The gearbox grease was basically tar tho

One of the latches after 1 day in vinegar. They barely moved, now move freely. Gonna soak more to try and remove more of the surface rust

IMG_20200408_183237964.jpg

4 days in vinegar, turned out great, work like brand new! Amazing for how bad they were

IMG_20200413_114726505.jpg

Phosphoric acid in colas can also neutralize rust, just have to be careful and not leave exposed too long (can dissolve a nail). If you can take it apart you may want to clean and paint it. Now have to find an appropriate rust inhibiting lubricant.

Back