How to pop a bearing?

mdh157

Reaction score
I am replacing the pass side cv axle in our 2007 Sienna and the bearing is frozen in the carrier. Been pounding on it for 2 days but cannot pop it loose or knock any of the balls out so the axle is effectively stuck in place. Tried pounding, drilling, prying, and nothing seems to be able to damage the race enough for me to remove the axle. Anyone got any ideas?

I am replacing the pass side cv axle in our 2007 Sienna and the bearing is frozen in the carrier. Been pounding on it for 2 days but cannot pop it loose or knock any of the balls out so the axle is effectively stuck in place. Tried pounding, drilling, prying, and nothing seems to be able to damage the race enough for me to remove the axle. Anyone got any ideas?

Found this: Have not tried this method. www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW4gG_3p-dQ

Dave

I would try the trick Dave posted. Do you have the whole assy off the van? If it's off I would try some heat.

Has the snap ring been removed. Do not use heat as you will bend or distort the housing rendering it useless. Can you take a pic with it still installed in the car. I have a method that works, I just need a reference pic to refer to. Does require use of a air hammer.

From the look of the bearing support in the video, I would say it's cast iron. It should take some heat, but you need to be cautious. You need to be cautious with a air hammer also on cast iron. Just in case have you priced out a bearing support from the dealer? If you can't get it apart unbolt the bearing support and remove the whole assy and take to a shop to have it removed for you.

Man, that was the biggest pain i have dealt with in a long time. The left side was a pc of cake.....strut, link and axle. Right side came out easy til i got to the axle. A friend of mine came over last night and we pounded on it til 1:30 am, finally got it to move. There was actually 2 rings, one of which is on the inside of the bearing by the tranny. Once the axle came out it took another half hour to knock the bearing race out w/o damaging the carrier. It is my wifes dd so we need it running. Today i put the whole thing back together, seems to be running fine. Biggest probs were 1) no torches, 2) no sawzall or air hammer, and 3) the carrier and axle do not come out as one unit due to the limited space. Job would have been uneventful were it not for that bearing.

Pick up something like this, Mapp gas cylinder and hose assembly for heating things....works great!

c18e8bd22de6a996447f638b0dc93e92.jpg

Back