How to remove and replace back seat 68 300

Mike Browne

Reaction score
Can you remove and install the upper rear seat on a 1968 300 with out removing the speaker grill ? I install the speaker grill and can not get the seat over it.

No, very difficult if not impossible. The rear seat back has to go up and over two hooks in the structural framework behind it, and then bolts secure it at the bottom. Having the speaker grill in place will prevent that. By "speaker grill" I assume you mean the whole molded package tray which sorta wraps around the rear seat back.

You have to leave the plastic "shroud" unfastened, but loosely in place. Then slow and carefully push the seat up under the shroud (it will lift the shroud too) after you have the seat back hooked in, then you can adjust the shroud to it correct position, and screw it to the package tray.

I got it. It was a fight. Thanks for the tip. The first time I tried. The speaker grill has screw holes along the front and thought I needed to screw It down first.

I got it. It was a fight. Thanks for the tip. The first time I tried. The speaker grill has screw holes along the front and thought I needed to screw It down first.
That shroud definitely adds character to the back seat, but it is a very odd design! Good to hear you got it figured out !

Was just looking at the post about converting mikes 66 rear seat. much bigger job then my 68 300. I did see something I my be missing. Did the 68 also use a filler on each side of the seat back 0n the 68. It looks like I my be missing a filler. My seat back fits from side to side but near the top I can see a small space.

Was just looking at the post about converting mikes 66 rear seat. much bigger job then my 68 300. I did see something I my be missing. Did the 68 also use a filler on each side of the seat back 0n the 68. It looks like I my be missing a filler. My seat back fits from side to side but near the top I can see a small space.
No side fillers in 68. please post a photo of the gap issue

Picture I hope

DSC01496.JPG

This is the black and grey that Legendary recommended. I think all black is correct but I went with b/g. what do you think. Its ok if you do not like it.

DSC01497.JPG

This is the black and grey that Legendary recommended. I think all black is correct but I went with b/g. what do you think. Its ok if you do not like it.

View attachment 256166
The b/g looks fantastic!
The factory colors were two tones anyway -with a marble effect coordinating insert.
I think your choice looks classy and a big improvement over all black!

Was thinking about using the grey and replacing the padded part of the door panel above the arm rest. I bought an extra yard of grey to do this.

Back