How to remove POR15?

mr. fix it

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Hello fellow Mopar restoration enthusiasts!

I am just getting starting on a sub frame swap out as well as restoring the under the hood area back to the original white.
The PO had used POR15 and thankfully not the correct way as it wants to peel & chip off the paint that is underneath the POR15.

I am sure though that I will run into areas that are properly coated.

I wanted to know if there is anyone having to have removed POR15 in the past.

I am curious as to how you would go about it.

Will a stripper work or do I need to grind or bead blast it down?:buffer:

Let me have your opinions!
:sSig_thanks:

20140104_201931.jpg

Last edited:
To my knowledge chemical strippers will not work. You have to use some sort of abrasive material to remove it...sand blasting, or grinding disc, wire wheels etc.

This is one of the reasons I HATE these types of products!!

I'm hopeful that it won't be too hard to remove maybe simply peeling it off with a scraper.:chain saw: or a chain saw :laughing4:

POR15 works really well when applied over rusty metal. It needs some "tooth" on the surface to grab on and then it's really hard to get off. It doesn't stick well to painted surfaces, especially those that may have any oil on them... Like under the hood.

Sandblast is your best bet. If you want to do it right, you'll want to sandblast the surfaces to bare metal anyway. You can probably grind through it. I would suggest you wear a respirator if you grind it off. The top surface of the paint is very hard, so sanding it will be tough.

I'm not a big fan of POR-15. But it does have it's place. Just not on your collector car.

Yeah sitting on the self of some warehouse...not being used!!

I recently helped a fellow with a landscaping business. His tire was going flat, and he saw me out working on my truck so he asked if I had a compressor and could help him out. Anyway, We got to commenting on the rust on his big trailer. Turned out his trailer was powder coated when new, but with the regular usage it had got chipped. The water then got in behind the powder coating and was rusting the trailer from the inside out!

This is the same scenario that can, and will, happen to stuff covered in POR15....Nothing is water tight forever!:soapbox:

Yeah sitting on the self of some warehouse...not being used!!

I recently helped a fellow with a landscaping business. His tire was going flat, and he saw me out working on my truck so he asked if I had a compressor and could help him out. Anyway, We got to commenting on the rust on his big trailer. Turned out his trailer was powder coated when new, but with the regular usage it had got chipped. The water then got in behind the powder coating and was rusting the trailer from the inside out!

This is the same scenario that can, and will, happen to stuff covered in POR15....Nothing is water tight forever!:soapbox:

i experiencedthe same thing with my "1 year old" custom powedercoated trailer as well.

I ended up chipping, scraping, & grinding over 60% of the frame and coating in TremClad gloss black rust coat and stone guarding the entire frame.
Looks great and is holding up like a champ!

Not exactly the best product, but I discovered gasoline will wrinkle the POR 15 right up and it will wipe right off.

I've used POR15 on a few things. some auto related and some not, and I've had really good results with it.

You do have to realize it's limitations and apply it per their instructions. It's not very forgiving and will fail if you don't.

It's not a substitute for doing things the right way, but it's always worked well for me.

Back