How to remove rear axle?

Jon O.

Reaction score
My 72 Newport needs new wheel bearings, and I took the wheel, and drum off, and undid the four bolts, but I have been beating a slide hammer all morning and the damn thing won't come out. Am I missing something? 8 3/4 differential. I read the FSM too.

Now I have spent a couple of hours with a hammer, does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the old bearings off? I can't just cut through it because I could not find a replacement collar.

You need a press. Preferably a floor standing one as you will need the height to get the new one on. I was able to modify my bench one an prop it up on blocks to make it work, but probably wasn't very safe. Also a little heat doesn't hurt to slightly expand the bearing so it slides off a little easier.n Also a bearing separator / splitter to support the bearing in the press when you are pressing down on the shaft.

Bearing Separator and Puller Set

Now I have spent a couple of hours with a hammer, does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the old bearings off? I can't just cut through it because I could not find a replacement collar.
The replacement collar should have come with the bearing.

I wish, but no
Take the bearings back, like Big John said I have never seen a set without the retainer. You don't want to reuse the retainer, your relying on it to keep the bearing on the axle and the axle in the diff.

Also, do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT take the easy way out and cut the old bearing and collar off with a torch... it needs to be cut off properly with a cold chisel.

Heat from a torch can re-anneals the metal of the axle itself, and renders it weak at that point. It will gradually work harden from the stress of cornering etc, cracking slightly with the crack gradually getting deeper and deeper, ultimately breaking off and sending the wheel and hub in one direction while the car goes in another.

Someone (a previous owner) torched off the left rear wheel bearing on my wagon years before I got it. I was driving down the highway with my father in law (80 + mph). We took an exit with a sweeping right turn, and just as we came off onto the city street, off came the wheel. No warning. 1 minute earlier and it would have been on the highway, and people likely would have been reading about it in the newspaper obits and seeing the carnage on the TV...

Upon examination it was easy to see where the torch had touched the axle and created stress point, and it had gradually worked its' way through until it was too weak to stand up to the stresses of cornering.

Also, do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT take the easy way out and cut the old bearing and collar off with a torch... it needs to be cut off properly with a cold chisel.

Heat from a torch can re-anneals the metal of the axle itself, and renders it weak at that point. It will gradually work harden from the stress of cornering etc, cracking slightly with the crack gradually getting deeper and deeper, ultimately breaking off and sending the wheel and hub in one direction while the car goes in another.

Someone (a previous owner) torched off the left rear wheel bearing on my wagon years before I got it. I was driving down the highway with my father in law (80 + mph). We took an exit with a sweeping right turn, and just as we came off onto the city street, off came the wheel. No warning. 1 minute earlier and it would have been on the highway, and people likely would have been reading about it in the newspaper obits and seeing the carnage on the TV...

Upon examination it was easy to see where the torch had touched the axle and created stress point, and it had gradually worked its' way through until it was too weak to stand up to the stresses of cornering.
I read that in the FSM. Good to know because I thought about it.

Take the bearings back, like Big John said I have never seen a set without the retainer. You don't want to reuse the retainer, your relying on it to keep the bearing on the axle and the axle in the diff.
I am, im buying the above kit he mentioned. Mine cost 37 for the pair, no wonder they were so cheap. I need the seals anyways. Both drums were VERY contaminated with oil. Well no wonder the car is so hard to stop sometimes.

What's the difference between these two options?

• '65-'74 8 3/4" Housing
  • '66-'72 OEM Dana 60 passenger car ONLY
Which one would I need for my 1972 Newport?

Last edited:
Back