How to remove speedometer cable!

64Imperial

Reaction score
Hey I cannot for the life of me get the speedometer cable out of the housing! I'm trying to install auto pilot on my non auto pilot car. Does anyone have an suggestions?

One end or the other will have a small retainer on it. I think its at the transmission end but don't quote me on that. It should pull out from whichever end has that retainer on it.

Screenshot_20211203-180826_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20211203-180535_Drive.jpg

OK- yes you have to remove the retainer bolt and clip to pull the housing/cable out at the trans end. I guess I just assumed you understood that.
Perhaps the earlier stuff is made totally different but I don't think so.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
Good luck.

OK- yes you have to remove the retainer bolt and clip to pull the housing/cable out at the trans end. I guess I just assumed you understood that.
Perhaps the earlier stuff is made totally different but I don't think so.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
Good luck.
I removed the retainer and bolt but it still won't pull out! I don't cause damage but it's driving me nuts lol I've pulled on it and twisted it

Maybe it's retainer is rusted in place somewhere near the outer seal. Can you get a small screwdriver under the outer lip of the retainer and gently pry it outward?

I agree if the bolt and retainer have been removed it will come out. Maybe hard, but it should.
If it's been in there since it was new, it may take quite some work to get it loose.

I agree if the bolt and retainer have been removed it will come out. Maybe hard, but it should.
If it's been in there since it was new, it may take quite some work to get it loose.
I definitely think it's just been there since it rolled out of the factory and rusted to it! I sprayed it with pb blaster and tomorrow I'm going to find the thinnest flat head screwdriver I own and pry it out! Lol

I just had an ordeal putting disks on the front and the bolts going through the spindle and backing plate were so locked up I had to drill some out! It was a mess! Not even heating it worked so I've just been fed up with stuff not pulling out like it should lol

West coast and southwest desert cars come apart as if they were put together yesterday, I’ve been spoiling myself other than the Mobile Director which is a crusty Midwest car. Will you be mounting the auto pilot servo in a non factory location since you’ve gone with a dual res master?

I definitely think it's just been there since it rolled out of the factory and rusted to it! I sprayed it with pb blaster and tomorrow I'm going to find the thinnest flat head screwdriver I own and pry it out! Lol

I just had an ordeal putting disks on the front and the bolts going through the spindle and backing plate were so locked up I had to drill some out! It was a mess! Not even heating it worked so I've just been fed up with stuff not pulling out like it should lol
Positive vibes from Virginia that all goes well with the screwdriver, and you're celebrating with a cold one earlier than expected!

Back