How to remove trunk lock cylinder on a'68 Chrysler 300

CitronPresse

Reaction score
Hi guys!
I'm a young beginner in Mopar world, I've bought last week a 1968 Chrysler 300, I have a lot of work on it and I'm gonna do a more complete presenting thread soon (I'm on my mobile now) but I would ask you this answer as soon as possible: how to remove the trunk lock cylinder? My lock does'nt works so I've opened the trunk by inside (just unscrewed the two bolts on the ketch) but now I must remove the lock to repair it or bring it to the locksmith and it seems really strangely made...

Sorry for my broken english I'm from
Quebec (like you'll see in my presentation probably this evening) and I'm really not so good in english ahah! :s

Thanks a lot if someone can explain me the better way to remove my cylinder, I'm gonna try to do this this afternoon :)
Cheers
Loïc

Welcome to the Forum!

There is a U shaped clip on the inside of your trunklid, like you see on the lower right of the picture. You have to pull that off sideways with a screw driver or a pair of pliers and the lock should slide right out.

Chrysler-Dodge-Plymouth-Ignition-Door-Trunk-Lock-Kit.jpg

Chrysler-Dodge-Plymouth-Ignition-Door-Trunk-Lock-Kit.jpg

Nice thank you guys for that quick answer! :p
I see the clip, but when I try to slide it down it "bumps" on the edge of trunk door, there is a "trapdoor" that seems to be there to let getting out the clip but this "trapdoor" seems to be welded and riveted (is it a word in english? lol)
Maybe if I turn the clip on itself and slide it sideways it can works?
I was thinking it would be easier to just remove a lock cylinder that's a quick operation habitually on other cars ahahah
I don't know if I explain myself clearly, if not, don't hesitate to ask some precisions, and I'll post some pictures this afternoon maybe it'll be better :)

anyway thanks alot! :)
Loïc

Welcome aboard to FCBO.

BTW, Vodka, your amazing collection of pictures are becoming invaluable. The documentation of the journey with your Imperial will become a textbook.

:sSig_greetingsthor: ............. :welcome:
Sounds like you going in the right direction, thanks to Julian. How about posting pictures of your 300..... We like pictures.

Will.

Thanks to you two! I made a lot of pictures of my 300, I like pictures too, photography is one of my hobbies ahahah, I think I'm gonna do a thread about my car, I have some other questions, such as the parking brake (the release handle is not working), so I'm gonna ask them on a thread Concerning my lock cylinder I'm gonna try to turn the U-clip a bit later

You can pull the clip off in any direction. Try to twist it into a good deirection with a screw driver. That worked for me. And soaking it with penetrating oil will help also!

I got it! :D

I try to turn the key into the lock but it really does'nt works so I bring it to the locksmith tomorrow morning, I hope they gonna be able to do something

I can't do a complete thread yet about my new car but I show you 2 pictures for today :p

My next problem will be the parking brake, probably that it works but the release handle is loose so I don't want to press it on and can't release it after ahaha, I'm gonna show you a pic of the mechanism probably tomorrow ;)

New trunk locks are available and can be rekeyed to match the original.

Alan

I got it! :D

I try to turn the key into the lock but it really does'nt works so I bring it to the locksmith tomorrow morning, I hope they gonna be able to do something

I can't do a complete thread yet about my new car but I show you 2 pictures for today :p

My next problem will be the parking brake, probably that it works but the release handle is loose so I don't want to press it on and can't release it after ahaha, I'm gonna show you a pic of the mechanism probably tomorrow ;)

Nice car!

Just a thought here.... Since you are a young guy new to the world of Mopars.... You are using the round head trunk key, correct? While you are at the locksmith, you want to get the lock for the glove box to work with that same trunk key.

New trunk locks are available and can be rekeyed to match the original.
Alan

Yes I've seen them on Rockauto and eBay, I'm gonna buy a new one if the locksmith can't repair mine but I prefer take the chance, because of the shipping, it can take 1 or 2 weeks and all of the way the locksmith will be probably cheaper I think
But thanks for the idea, do you think there is one new lock better than the others? :)

Nice car!

Just a thought here.... Since you are a young guy new to the world of Mopars.... You are using the round head trunk key, correct? While you are at the locksmith, you want to get the lock for the glove box to work with that same trunk key.

Thank you! :p
It looks better than it is really but it stills straight and runs good :)
But my 300 has been "downgraded" with a 383, probably the original 440 has been drop in a muscle-car in the past :(

Concerning the trunk key, yes that's the round one for the trunk and the glove box and the "pentagonal" one for doors and ignition, I had many GM and Ford before and they had the same key configuration :p

Drop it in a jar of vinegar for a few days, maybe a week.

If you can find true NOS that would be the way to go.
The new stuff is probably made in China.

Alan

After removing the spring clip, does the lock cylinder come out from inside the trunk lid or does it pass through and to the outside of the lid? I have the clip off, but the cylinder won't come off from the inside. I hope I don't have to take off the outside decorative face plate. Car is 1970 Fury.

After removing the spring clip, does the lock cylinder come out from inside the trunk lid or does it pass through and to the outside of the lid? I have the clip off, but the cylinder won't come off from the inside. I hope I don't have to take off the outside decorative face plate. Car is 1970 Fury.
Outside. You'll have to take the plate off.

This is the first thread i should have come to... i have a '72 Polara, but there are no keys. At all. i would like to re-key the car, where is the best place to find door/trunk/ignition cylinders? i have the original cylinders, but i don't trust the locksmiths in my area (the last time i needed an ignition key, the guy put a blank into the ignition cylinder and brutalised it back and forth to 'dent' the key to find out where to cut it). Besides, the cylinders are missing the gaskets that keep water out. Any help?

Back