How would one remove the heater box? 1968 Newport

Mopar Boy

Reaction score
I need to remove the heater box from my 1968 Newport as a mouse made a house in there. Also as the blower motor sounds a bit dry, I will kill two birds with one stone.

Question is, how does it come out? I was told I needed to remove the dash and all to get at it. Is this true? Does the window then need to be pulled to get at the screws for the dash?

Any advice on the easiest way to do this would be appreciated!

Thanks!

If I remember right, there are a couple brackets under the dash that need to be disconnected and several nuts removed from the engine side of the firewall. Also you'll need to be mindful of any linkage that's connected

Duct work a bracket or two should be accessible because dash goes in after heater box on assembly line I believe then remove nuts on engine side of firewall should pull back far enough to clear studs and come down and out.

Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Let me know if you end up needing a replacement blower motor as I have one from a low mileage a/c car. I would bench test it here to verify that it works but it should.

Welcome.......nice car.

Post a few pictures of your car when you get a chance.

Thanks for all the responses folks! So it is not a full dash removal. Should not be that bad then. I have done heater box removals on the 80s Rams many times and from the sounds of it, this should not be much different.

I see you made it over here. Welcome!!

LOL Yes. Thanks for the advice!

Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Let me know if you end up needing a replacement blower motor as I have one from a low mileage a/c car. I would bench test it here to verify that it works but it should.

Will do! Thanks for the post and offer!

Welcome.......nice car.

Post a few pictures of your car when you get a chance.
I

I will see what I can do on that for you!

Back