How would you do it? Interior

BluegrassDan

Reaction score
This is a section of my ‘67 Newport’s floors after scraping out seam sealer and giving it a quick wire wheel. The original paint and primer are tough, but there is some surface rust.

Whatcha think? Sandblast it down to bare metal, prime, and paint? Or knock the loose stuff off and hit it with some rusty metal primer? Do the POR15 dance?

D73173D0-EBE8-49AF-BF96-20CBE872691F.jpeg

Being that it's interior I'd just mechanically remove what rust I could, then hit it with a rusty metal type primer and top coat. I really don't see much to be concerned about.

Being that it's interior I'd just mechanically remove what rust I could, then hit it with a rusty metal type primer and top coat. I really don't see much to be concerned about.
You would open a can of worms by doing any media blasting in the interior. Prep the metal and coat it with whatever you feel comfortable with.
POR 15 is designed to go over cleaned rusted areas.

That’s a really clean and nice floor. Wire wheel off the rust. Epoxy prime and catalyzed car paint is what I like to use. Forget the POR junk.

That's not bad at all.

I'd hit it with a coat or Rustoleum Professional red oxide primer, followed up with Rustoleum Professional gloss white, available at any Lowes or Home Depot for around 6 or 7 bucks a can.

No reason to spend extra money or do extra work that's not needed. I'm assuming that it won't be getting water under the seat or carpet anymore.

Jeff

IF you removed any of the seam sealer, then IT will need to be replaced. Should be at a local auto paint supply store. Then prime and repaint as recommended above. It all will be hidden from view, BUT what caused those surface rust spots might still be at play (moisture over time, especially under rubber floor mats!), so getting it refinished as good as you can will be a long-term plus. THEN re-undercost the floor pan on the "road side" to complete the job.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I wired brushed mine,replaced any seam sealer,then epoxy primer and then body color..
BARGE ON A BUDGET 076.jpg

Ditto the trunk.. But used trunk spatter paint from a local Canadian Tire store..
BARGE ON A BUDGET 166.jpg

BARGE ON A BUDGET 321.jpg

Back