HP of a 1966 300, 440 engine

jpj

Reaction score
I have researched the HP of the 440 in my 300.
I have found different HP's.
Some say 350 and others say 375.
Does anyone know the true HP?

Where does that put you?
As always...
At the RR station waiting for my ship to come in.:gah:

1.1288792926.abandoned-train-station-building.jpg

Last edited:
As always...
At the RR station waiting for my ship to come in.:gah:

Uhmm,, Commando1,,
lookin' at that pic I dunn see no water no where,,, ut uhh..
So me thinks you is 'ship' outta luck on this ride..... :eek:s_dancing2:

As we all know, the 440 was introduced in 1966. There were two versions that year. The first was a 350hp version. The second, introduced for the 66 1/2 models had 365hp.

This second version is a bit interesting. It was labelled by Chrysler as a 440TNT, but wasn't the full out TNT that was introduced for the '67 model year, as it still had logs.

As we all know, the 440 was introduced in 1966. There were two versions that year. The first was a 350hp version. The second, introduced for the 66 1/2 models had 365hp.

This second version is a bit interesting. It was labelled by Chrysler as a 440TNT, but wasn't the full out TNT that was introduced for the '67 model year, as it still had logs.
I have the TNT dual snorkel air cleaner. so it has 365HP? This car was purchased in August of 1966.

There seems to be very little information available for the 365bhp engines. As far as I am aware, the only differences are the dual snorkel filter, and a (dual) 2 1/2" exhaust until the muffler exit, when it goes down to 2 1/4".

As part of another project, I recently dynoed a "near enough" 365, and found that it made the same amount of hp as a 375hp engine, but had a better torque curve.

You should be able to tell from the VIN number which engine was originally fitted.

Last edited:
There seems to be very little information available for the 365bhp engines. As far as I am aware, the only differences are the dual snorkel filter, and a 2 1/2" exhaust until the muffler exit, when it goes down to 2 1/4".

As part of another project, I recently dynoed a "near enough" 365, and found that it made the same amount of hp as a 375hp engine, but had a better torque curve.

You should be able to tell from the VIN number which engine was originally fitted.
The fifth digit in the VIN is a J, indicates 440.
Here is the complete VIN CM23J63207436

If you look on the fender tag, the bottom row of numbers should start 82 if its a 365hp engine. If what I have just read is correct, that is!

Make sure we're not talking apples and pomegranites here.
Don't forget that up to 1970, Hp raing was taken under ideal conditions on the test stand at the flywheel. That was THE accepted way of rating advertised HP and a whole lot of cheating and lieing went on with a wink-wink nod-nod from everybody. Back then, the 440's WERE absolutely under rated on their HP.

Back