HP of a 1966 300, 440 engine

Make sure we're not talking apples and pomegranites here.
Don't forget that up to 1970, Hp raing was taken under ideal conditions on the test stand at the flywheel. That was THE accepted way of rating advertised HP and a whole lot of cheating and lieing went on with a wink-wink nod-nod from everybody. Back then, the 440's WERE absolutely under rated on their HP.

Late last year, I dynoed two 440's. One was as near to a '66 spec. as I could make it, the other was a relatively accurate 70/71 375HP. Both were below factory claimed horse power. I then converted the '66 to 365hp and ran that as well. That was also below.

I cant state that the results were conclusive in any way. The runs were made with air cleaner and manifolds/head pipes, as well as generator/water pump being used. I would have expected that the factory would not have done things in this way. so, in this case, maybe apples and pomegranates are the same!:icon_lol:

Sometime within the next few weeks, I'll be running a '78 smog-equipment-removed 440 on the dyno. That should be interesting....

Sometime within the next few weeks, I'll be running a '78 smog-equipment-removed 440 on the dyno. That should be interesting....
Can your dyno read that low? LMAO
Like trying to weigh a first class postage letter on a bathroom scale.:icon_lol:

Can your dyno read that low? LMAO
Like trying to weigh a first class postage letter on a bathroom scale.:icon_lol:

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Dynoed the same way as the others, I'll be surprised if it makes less power...

hi guys . new to your c body forum. my 66 fury 3, 440 commando 9 passenger wagon has an advertised h p of 365 according to the factory sales brochure. this wagon is numbers matching with a 4 speed 355 posi with factory disc brakes. white with a blue interior. when i get it out of storage in the spring i will post some pics thanks. Paul

hi guys . new to your c body forum. my 66 fury 3, 440 commando 9 passenger wagon has an advertised h p of 365 according to the factory sales brochure. this wagon is numbers matching with a 4 speed 355 posi with factory disc brakes. white with a blue interior. when i get it out of storage in the spring i will post some pics thanks. Paul

Let me get the straight.
66 Fury III Wagon
Factory disc brakes
440 4 speed and 3.55 Sure-grip....:icon_eek:

#1: WELCOME!!!
#2. I HAVE (emphasis: "have") to see pics of that
#3. Around here you had better call that a Fury III (not 1,2 or 3) and that rear end a Sure-grip (No GM nomenclature allowed) or I'll just take that uber rare Fury away from you. LOL! :blob8:

PS: One just like that was on ebay recently. Is this the one?

my two 440 when disasembled both had cr of barely 8.5, 1 was a 68 and other a 69

yes commando 1 . i cant imagine seeing another 1 like it for sale. have it in storage at a friend of mines in michigan and no i'm not giving you the full address. lol . paul sorry i meant posi.

Welcome to another new CDN C body wagon owner. I'm with Commando, I would LOVE to see pics of this beast!

Back