Hydroboost conversion on a '65 Fury 3

Yatzee

Reaction score
Just couldn't handle the dubious braking on my Fury III and after much research I finally took the plunge
and installed Hydro boost braking. Should have done it years ago - it's amazing. The donor vehicle was
a 1998 Chev Silverado 3500 diesel - Disk/drum and about the same weight as my Fury. On a scale of 10,
I'd rate difficulty at 4 if you have any mechanical knowledge, 7 if you don't. I didn't even have to modify
the brake pedal arm to achieve a 6:1 pedal ratio and my car was originally manual brakes. The scrap yard
price was $130 for the entire system including the power steering cooler. 440 Source supplied the engine
brackets to mount the Saginaw pump ( which sits lower and looks better than the OE pump ) for $50.
I even used the original belt from my OE setup. The pedal feel is exactly the same as my '05 Ford F150
FX4 - firm and progressive, the stopping power is fantastic without any fade or drift. I've included some
pics of the finished installation if they upload. Oh, the lines for the system were made by a local hose
shop ( pressure rated to 3000 p.s.i. ) for around $120 including the JIC fittings. 027.jpg026.jpg028.jpg025.jpg024.jpg022.jpg

028.jpg

027.jpg

026.jpg

025.jpg

024.jpg

022.jpg

That is a sweet conversion!! Thank you for being the guinea pig on this one, and sharing the info, parts and pics! :thumbsup:

Subscribed!!

Very impressive.
A lot of plumbing there which would scare me away though.
Glad to see you got some super stopping powers.

Posted via Topify on Android

That's an interesting conversion.

Please tell me it's just the way the pics show it and those aren't copper brake lines.

That's the new copper nickel approved brake line the stuff is worth twice as much as they are charging, makes a crappy job bearable on a DD and doesn't rust back off in 2 years the way the recent steel lines have been doing.

I've never had problems with my stock Mopar brakes that would necessitate something like this...

That's the new copper nickel approved brake line the stuff is worth twice as much as they are charging, makes a crappy job bearable on a DD and doesn't rust back off in 2 years the way the recent steel lines have been doing.

That makes sense. I've used the greenish color stuff Napa sells, but never saw the brake line in copper.

B J once you use the copper nickel you will never go back to any regular steel lines no matter what they are coated.with.

Way to think outside the box. I have been looking and researching for my 66 Polara 500. Did you have to make the mounting bracket at the firewall or is that stock?

Just couldn't handle the dubious braking on my Fury III and after much research I finally took the plunge
and installed Hydro boost braking. Should have done it years ago - it's amazing. The donor vehicle was
a 1998 Chev Silverado 3500 diesel - Disk/drum and about the same weight as my Fury. On a scale of 10,
I'd rate difficulty at 4 if you have any mechanical knowledge, 7 if you don't. I didn't even have to modify
the brake pedal arm to achieve a 6:1 pedal ratio and my car was originally manual brakes. The scrap yard
price was $130 for the entire system including the power steering cooler. 440 Source supplied the engine
brackets to mount the Saginaw pump ( which sits lower and looks better than the OE pump ) for $50.
I even used the original belt from my OE setup. The pedal feel is exactly the same as my '05 Ford F150
FX4 - firm and progressive, the stopping power is fantastic without any fade or drift. I've included some
pics of the finished installation if they upload. Oh, the lines for the system were made by a local hose
shop ( pressure rated to 3000 p.s.i. ) for around $120 including the JIC fittings.View attachment 38970View attachment 38971View attachment 38969View attachment 38972View attachment 38973View attachment 38974

View attachment 38969

View attachment 38970

View attachment 38971

View attachment 38972

View attachment 38973

View attachment 38974

That is a terrific conversion. I guess I can stop looking for a Bendix dual booster now. . .

i like that , its going on this 69 crew cab d200 when i convert it to disc's . already converted it from a 318 to a 440 with goodies . working the harness over now , won't be long before the next step .
DSC00832.JPG
DSC01052.JPG

Love the swap, had hydroboost on my 80 Olds 88. I pulled the 5.7 diesel and stuck in a 455. The real beauty is you can run what ever cam your heart desires and still have power brakes.

Love the swap, had hydroboost on my 80 Olds 88. I pulled the 5.7 diesel and stuck in a 455. The real beauty is you can run what ever cam your heart desires and still have power brakes.
There is a space benefit as well... I don't see me ever going there, but I kinda like the conversion.

There is a space benefit as well... I don't see me ever going there, but I kinda like the conversion.
If I was going with a really lumpy cam, for sure I would do it. On one of your cars, I wouldn't bother. Your brake systems are pretty good stock.

Back