I am not a Crook - VIN tag removal

The Goose

Reaction score
Ok here’s the two questions...

What’s the best way to remove the VIN tag. Everyone says drill it but who’s done it successfully and how.

The rivets ain’t cheap so is there any trick to fixing the tag to the dash the right way on the first try.

I’m not a car thief and I’ve been very lucky as to the good condition of my dash pads up till now so I have no history with swapping pads & VINs.

I got a great pad, I bought the special rivets from Julius and then I found out there are long and short rivets. They failed to mention that at the time of purchase. I figure that will be my last mistake due to not asking someone whose already done it.

My goals are simple attach the VIN rightside up and not crush/wrinkle it with the rivets.

if the dash pad is off, just grind down the rivets flush from the back side. a little help with a punch and they will pop right out. can't help with the installation of new.

Anybody want to buy some unused rivets??? Cheap...

8B7F1B9F-E9FD-404D-BB0F-EA4278125691.jpeg

It’s out.

♂️ how many times are you gonna reattach that tag? JB weld....ehh

♂️ how many times are you gonna reattach that tag? JB weld....ehh
It’s not so much how many times as that I don’t want to crush it.

I’ve done some riveting in my time but they always dented the metal. Guess I just don’t trust my skills on this one.

It’s not so much how many times as that I don’t want to crush it.

I’ve done some riveting in my time but they always dented the metal. Guess I just don’t trust my skills on this one.
Ok gotcha. Don't blame you there

Back