I have another???

carguy300

Reaction score
Hello again old school c-bodies gurus, i was fixen to wash inder hood of my 300 and get to install carb. I came across these on the firewall above the blower motor. It gets voltage from the starter relay by the washer jug. A red wire was jammed between firewall and right one. One wire goes to blower motor. I have tried to look at other c- bodies(1968) with a.c, but i havnt come across these 2 relays. Is this some kind of rigging or a bypass of some sort, or normal equipment. Any and ALL help will be great. Im trying to get this at least started by winter.

306298E9-2469-4068-8917-4A0AA6A99984.jpeg

207F4967-E8FB-4475-9DF5-3B873F9263C3.jpeg

301DA6DA-0C66-4081-AC51-44FF4D770CBA.jpeg

6801DCBB-2AE2-4026-97B9-564B9ED8BED9.jpeg

Looks to me like someone scabbed on another starter relay.

The one on the left is for a manual trans car (see the contact in the lower right corner that is connected to the case. The one on the right looks correct for the car.

My bet is they added the one on the left when the one on the right broke, but since it would let you start the car "in gear", they wired the two together. At least that's the best theory I have right now.

Best bet is to find the correct one and replace that mess before it causes more problems.

Hello again old school c-bodies gurus, i was fixen to wash inder hood of my 300 and get to install carb. I came across these on the firewall above the blower motor. It gets voltage from the starter relay by the washer jug. A red wire was jammed between firewall and right one. One wire goes to blower motor. I have tried to look at other c- bodies(1968) with a.c, but i havnt come across these 2 relays. Is this some kind of rigging or a bypass of some sort, or normal equipment. Any and ALL help will be great. Im trying to get this at least started by winter.

View attachment 562407
I agree with "rigging". Unrig per factory wiring diagram.
Is there a 3rd starter relay that operates the starter?

There is the correct relay on the fender that has starter leads and neutral safety sw. that blue looking 10gauge wire goes over to the correct relay. 1 wire from blower motor is hooked to one term. Unfortunatly i have missplaced wiring diagram from my service manual. Once i get everything cleaned I will trace wires and eliminate unnessessary wires.

There is the correct relay on the fender that has starter leads and neutral safety sw. that blue looking 10gauge wire goes over to the correct relay. 1 wire from blower motor is hooked to one term. Unfortunatly i have missplaced wiring diagram from my service manual. Once i get everything cleaned I will trace wires and eliminate unnessessary wires.
Awesome! :thumbsup:

I have figured out that the 2 relays were some how tied in with the blower motor. Ive since removed them, traced 2 yellow wires, one from each spade on relays, to top unused connections on bulkhead, under dash connections at bulkhead with red wires going towards blower switch and I think there is a blower motor relay behind glove box. Im thinking the to relays might have been for speeds,? One lead from the blower was also tied in with relays. This is my thinking. None of it will have any factor in the car starting or running. As soon as my dash is finally back together, getting running is next, then brakes, then......

I have figured out that the 2 relays were some how tied in with the blower motor. Ive since removed them, traced 2 yellow wires, one from each spade on relays, to top unused connections on bulkhead, under dash connections at bulkhead with red wires going towards blower switch and I think there is a blower motor relay behind glove box. Im thinking the to relays might have been for speeds,? One lead from the blower was also tied in with relays. This is my thinking. None of it will have any factor in the car starting or running. As soon as my dash is finally back together, getting running is next, then brakes, then......
Agree. When the dash wiring is right, you can come back to the blower motor wiring.

Back