I know it's been discussed before, but

300rag

It's Not Going to Shift Itself
Reaction score
I can't decide. I have the car scheduled to go in on the 15th for a new exhaust. The old single has a bunch of leaks so it's time to upgrade to duals. I know for sure it will be 2 1/2" with an H-pipe and neatly tucked in place like the TTI with turndowns. The only thing I am unsure about is the mufflers. I know what I am considering, but I won't let the cat out of the bag just yet. What are your suggestions? Keeping in mind it is for a convertible with the windows rolled down (Dave), I am looking for a nice rumble that is not too annoying. I also want to have a bit of a bark when I stand on it. The idle will be a little choppy from the xe268 anyway. Fire away!

A pair of Flowmaster 40's............I have a pair on my NYB. I listen to the Flowmasters instead of radio most of the time. They sound great IMHO!

That may have been what was on my brown polara BUT they were loud. Too loud for convertible cruising

I have a pair of stock replacements with resonators at the tips. A nice little rumble at idle but not too much. These aren't muscle cars. It's definitely a little louder than the stock system but not too loud for what it is.

A pair of Flowmaster 40's............I have a pair on my NYB. I listen to the Flowmasters instead of radio most of the time. They sound great IMHO!
I'm with you. I have a pair of 40's underneath my backseat also. they make glorious rumbles....and at highway speeds it is a sound to behold....loud, even with the windows up. Absolutely love it.

I drive spring, summer and fall with the all 4 windows down and that is a lot of open area on a formal. The Flowmasters aren't loud to me and pretty much sounds like stock 1969 Dodge Super Bee exhaust. Even during WOT they are not obnoxious. My exhaust pipes extend about an inch or so past the rear bumper. That is the key to manage the noise. My recommendation is find someone with Flowmasters mounted and check the sound for yourself. I'm sure you will like them.

Here's my choice:

3assi.jpg

Last edited:
I think Flowmasters are the best choice......be it 40's or 70's. Go to a shop that installs them. I bet there is a car that day getting 40's..........check out the sound for yourself. They may even have something with 70's so you can hear the difference. Flowmaster has numerous video demo's. It's kind of hard to truly gauge the true sound with a video.

BORLA'S.......Only the best....Great tone, no resenance, best performance.
I've used them for years and would put them up against anything else out there. Good performance level, product choice also

http://www.borla.com/products/mufflers/proxs.html

From the Borla site.......

Today, choosing performance exhaust can be confusing. A common misconception is that "bigger is better". Many enthusiasts, and manufacturers too, seem to feel that very large diameter pipes are the only way to go for muscle car performance, while we at BORLA® have found for street use, big pipes just take energy out of the exhaust, both by slowing down exhaust gas velocity and by cooling off the gases. While exhaust may leave the port at 1500 degrees or more, at the tailpipe it's down to 150 degrees -- a sign energy has been lost. Velocity and uninterrupted flow are the real performance-making factors.
Furthermore, it is the low frequency range that has energy (the sound you can feel inside the car); big pipes increase the low frequencies, making an uncomfortable roaring or droning sound. A BORLA® exhaust system, on the other hand, is designed for less restriction, keeping the velocity and frequency high so the main sound is behind the tailpipe.

Last edited:
Anyone use the dynomax super turbos? I've been thinking of trying them out..

I've got a flowmaster 40 series on the monaco. A nice low rumble, deff not loud on my car. Kinda sounds like a mustang at certain times though, and I don't like that.

Ha,Ha,....Loud n' Proud. Missus digs it too. Guess I'm lucky that way. Baltimore Harbor tunnel, 3 A.M. in the morning..summertime.....70 mph.....windows down.....absolute heaven.

Ha,Ha,....Loud n' Proud. Missus digs it too. Guess I'm lucky that way. Baltimore Harbor tunnel, 3 A.M. in the morning..summertime.....70 mph.....windows down.....absolute heaven.

And WOT in the tunnel..........

There's 2 different sets of tunnels in Baltimore. The ones on I-95 and there's 2 more close by on I-895...just in case you didn't know. They both go under the Chesapeake Bay/Baltimore Harbor.

Last edited:
And WOT in the tunnel..........

There's 2 different sets of tunnels in Baltimore. The ones on I-95 and there's 2 more close by on I-895...just in case you didn't know. They both go under the Chesapeake Bay/Baltimore Harbor.
Yup....I think it was the I-95 tunnel.....real long. There also the Chesapeake Bay Tunnel & Bridge crossing. It begins at the end of rt.13 at the bottom of Delaware (or is that MD?) That's a cool ride too. Two yrs ago coming back from N.C. we crossed during a hurricane/storm, the waves were almost lapping the bottom of the long roadway between the tunnels....the seas were HIGH that day.

I have 18" AP Xcelerators with 2 1/4' pipes on my car. It is exactly what I was looking for. Aggressive when you go for it, but very pleasant when you are cruising, even with the top down. Here is a link to a youtube video of my car running that I took last fall. It will give you a bit of an indication of how it sounds at idle ect....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG5-SDWuzIk

I have 18" AP Xcelerators with 2 1/4' pipes on my car. It is exactly what I was looking for. Aggressive when you go for it, but very pleasant when you are cruising, even with the top down. Here is a link to a youtube video of my car running that I took last fall. It will give you a bit of an indication of how it sounds at idle ect....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG5-SDWuzIk

Nice video. You car is outstanding! :icon_thumleft:

Nice video. You car is outstanding! :icon_thumleft:
Thanks for the complement. I would like to take credit for it, but I'm just the caretaker of a pretty nicely preserved car not of my doing:3gears:. I posted that video sometime last fall, but I hope the repeat will give an Idea of what the AP's sound like. I am really happy with them.

They sound great at an idle! Do you still have snow on the ground?

BORLA'S.......Only the best....Great tone, no resenance, best performance.

The challenger talk board builds them up BUT I have to say the Mopar performance exhaust on my Challenger sounds better than any of the Borlas I have heard