I know it's been discussed before, but

They sound great at an idle! Do you still have snow on the ground?
about 4-5 feet of the stuff on level ground, more in drift spots. It finally got above freezing yesterday and today so it is starting to get a bit slushy and heavy. Some side streets and county roads are impassible right now because of deep slush and ruts. Hope it don't get too warm too fast though or we will have water problems.

Jeez, I'm complaining about 60 tomorrow and 70 next week here.

I'm spending time listening to sound clips on you-tube trying to decide. My original thoughts were the Dynomax short Super Turbos or the long Ultraflows. I may have to see if I can find some of the local guys with big blocks to fire up their cars for me to help decide. BTW your car sounds good Bryan.

It went up to 34 degrees F here today (1C) and it was sunny for the most part. The snow is starting to melt a little. This has turned out to be a long winter, so I'll sure be glad to see it gone, but yeah, if it melts too fast there will be trouble. This whole area (Manitoba, Saskatchewan and North Dakota) had severe flooding two years ago. They are forecasting some flooding for this year but not as bad as two years ago. :pray:

There's nothing I like better than the sound of a big-block through dual exhaust!
I'm using dual exhausts with turbo mufflers on both of my projects and I love 'em. They're quiet enough inside the vehicle that they don't bother me, but when I want to hear them I can.:laughing4:
On my truck, the pipes exit on each side in front of the rear wheels and have stainless steel tips. So yeah, if I'm driving past something I do get the reflected sound.
On my Newport, the pipes run all the way to the back and the stainless steel tips extend aproxiamately 1.5" beyond the vallance. IMO, that's the key to keeping it quiet in the vehicle, the pipes have to dump beyond the body. :)
:3gears:

the stainless steel tips extend aproxiamately 1.5" beyond the vallance. IMO, that's the key to keeping it quiet in the vehicle, the pipes have to dump beyond the body.
Chrysler had the best plan with the tailpipe turn downs.

I agree, even with the glass packs my car had on it, the turn downs knocked quite a bit of noise down,

So If you don't mind me asking, what is the consenses on best Mufflers for a Small Block Mopar. I also plan to do a 2.5 Stainless with H pipe, but it will be run the same location as the Factory 440 HP cars.

Nick

I agree, even with the glass packs my car had on it, the turn downs knocked quite a bit of noise down,

So If you don't mind me asking, what is the consenses on best Mufflers for a Small Block Mopar. I also plan to do a 2.5 Stainless with H pipe, but it will be run the same location as the Factory 440 HP cars.

Nick
Pretty much any of the above choices would apply to a 318 as well. Only difference, I personally wouldn't go over 2-2 1/4" on the pipes.

I bought the largest of the shelf generic mufflers in stock and had them installed as they bent the exhaust. Cheap, have lasted a decade on the 4 Dr and sound great.

2 1/2" into the muffler and 2 1/4" out works good for an efficient street exhaust. The back pressure will smooth out the exhaust pulses and improve torque.

That was the plan for the most part, just unsure if I want to re-use the glass packs or go to something different, the glass packs have been on the car atleast 2 owners and 21 years.

Nick

I have 18" AP Xcelerators with 2 1/4' pipes on my car. It is exactly what I was looking for. Aggressive when you go for it, but very pleasant when you are cruising, even with the top down. Here is a link to a youtube video of my car running that I took last fall. It will give you a bit of an indication of how it sounds at idle ect....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG5-SDWuzIk

I have 3" exhaust with the Xcelerators on my '70 Road Runner and it is mild when cruising but on the loud side when you open it up.

I also have 2 1/2" Flowmasters on my Ramcharger and really like the sound through any range, but I don't know what # they are... ?

Last edited: