I learned something today

polara71

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just have a story to share. Being Mothers day I wanted to head to the cemetery today. I planned on taking the convertible, I got up early only to find an intimidating cloudy day. I was on the road in the 71 hardtop by 7:15 and on the highway by 7:25. IN the right lane cruising around 70 mph I realized almost the whole highway was empty. I drive 295 south every day in traffic and apparently at this time of the morning the Religious freaks and diner dwellers arent up yet.

For those who are familiar with the stereotype of New Jersey, this aint it...

On my way back I decided to spread her wings and let her fly. I was back home before 9:30 and the local county roads were full of traffic.

What I learned? To wake up early every nice weathered Sunday morning and go for a ride................or move to Montana.

IMG_0885 (1024x683) (2).jpg

IMG_0886 (1024x683).jpg

IMG_0887 (1024x683).jpg

IMG_0888 (1024x683).jpg

IMG_0889 (1024x683).jpg

IMG_0890 (1024x683).jpg

IMG_0892 (1024x683).jpg

IMG_0904 (1024x683).jpg

IMG_0907 (1024x683).jpg

IMG_0913 (1024x683).jpg

Nice, I grew up in New jersey (Edison) and once you get out of the city its got very nice " country areas" not to mention the highways along the ocean!!!

Great pic's polara71, thats the best time to go for a cruise!

I never realized that until yesterday. Once I was on the road the sky looked better, but I was still glad I didnt take the convertible. The 71 is just so much more fun to drive.

Yes, once your out of the congestion which is about fifteen miles south of me it opens up. Before you know it there are thousands of acres of open space, farms and woods. Single lane roads with not a lot on them. It must be a kept secret or I am just not paying attention, I couldnt tell you how much old iron I passed going the otherway yesterday.

:eek:ld_school:

Great pics, I never would have expected that out of Jersey but I guess every state has that variety if you go out and look for it.

:3gears::3gears:NJ is beautiful. I too try to cruise the backroads around my area early on weekends mornings. No set destination, left on the road, maybe a right on the next road. I'm usually rolling about 110 mph slower than you are. I'm still looking for Chrysler barn finds. I have to say that I'm very impressed with that 132 mph speedo run. Does she still have more or is she topped out? The most that I pushed the NY'er is 100 mph. I have very few places (I-95) that I can get that kind of speed and not get caught.

Dave: I hit 110 once in my NY and it scared the crap out of me because it wallowed so much. Any suspension mods on yours to hit 130+ ?

New Jersey is beautiful the more southern you get, southern meaning below Trenton more or less. You can get out into rural lands really fast if you drive down rt.55 or you can get lost in the Pine Barrens on rt.72 & 73 east. You better have a full tank if your headed through the "piney lands".

Polara, I wish I could have seen your car going by that fast -- that must a been great!

Dave: I hit 110 once in my NY and it scared the crap out of me because it wallowed so much. Any suspension mods on yours to hit 130+ ?

No mods, but when I am pushing any car that fast I like to feel the car and I couldnt because I was holding the camera too. This car handles very well for what it is.
It was still pulling pretty good, I know it'll do the 140 as I have had it there before plus some. You can see on the sign I was on route 55 this time. When I did the 140 I was on 295 south of 38 and the road is very straight for a few miles there. Route 55 just winds and where ever there is a straight away there are "hideouts".

:3gears::3gears:NJ is beautiful. I too try to cruise the backroads around my area early on weekends mornings. No set destination, left on the road, maybe a right on the next road. I'm usually rolling about 110 mph slower than you are. I'm still looking for Chrysler barn finds. I have to say that I'm very impressed with that 132 mph speedo run. Does she still have more or is she topped out? The most that I pushed the NY'er is 100 mph. I have very few places (I-95) that I can get that kind of speed and not get caught.

My wife and I came out of DC and I hit 145 two years ago after a Dave Matthews concert. The Challenger only had a few hundred miles on it then. Now that holds the road nice............

Dont get me wrong. The point of the post is to say I was cruising and at my own pace. I was doing 25 on 50 mph roads, u-turns where I wanted, I'd stop to take a photo where ever I felt like it. If you need to go for a cruise to nowhere go out early on a Sunday, I felt for lack of a better word, inspired. For the hell of it on the return highway is when I pushed it.

There are pockets of Jersey that are amazing. Most everywhere south of 322. Most of Burlington County and the upper northwest Well North of Princeton can be breath taking.

My wife and I came out of DC and I hit 145 two years ago after a Dave Matthews concert. The Challenger only had a few hundred miles on it then. Now that holds the road nice............

Dont get me wrong. The point of the post is to say I was cruising and at my own pace. I was doing 25 on 50 mph roads, u-turns where I wanted, I'd stop to take a photo where ever I felt like it. If you need to go for a cruise to nowhere go out early on a Sunday, I felt for lack of a better word, inspired. For the hell of it on the return highway is when I pushed it.

There are pockets of Jersey that are amazing. Most everywhere south of 322. Most of Burlington County and the upper northwest Well North of Princeton can be breath taking.

Cool, I understand. Sunday Morning cruises' is my stress relief. I'm pretty familiar with the state police hideouts on I-95 in Harford County. Truth be told, I've only had the NY'er up to 100 mph once and still had a lot left. I'm confident she'll go north of 120 mph. BTW, everytime you are heading south in Jersey...you are getting closer to Maryland.

:sSig_hihihi:

We got married in Maryland, its a good place. You going to the MasonDixon show?

I'm 95 percent sure that I'm going to Mason Dixon. I've heard of that racetrack but I've never been there yet. It's 100 miles Northwest of me. It's about a 2 hour drive for me.

We got married in Maryland, its a good place. You going to the MasonDixon show?

I'm originally from Milwaukee, my last duty station in the Army before I retired was Aberdeen Proving Ground. I liked the mid-Atlantic area so much that I bought a house and decided to stay here. It's a small rural area and 2 climate zones warmer than Wisconsin.

Wisconsin is beautiful. I don't think I can handle the extreme winters anymore. Maybe after I retire, I could move back to Wisconsin.

The midwest (Milwaukee/Chicago area) has a few car shows, but nothing like the East Coast area. There's tons of events in the mid-atlantic area. Yea, I'm hooked on Carlisle and the East Coast.

He should have more legs left with 3.23s...? (thought I read that his '71 had 3.23s somewhere in the past)

My '68 300 with 2.76s ran 2200 @ 70 and I pushed it to 4400 with the speedo buried, it was getting a bit floaty feeling on bumps.

With no tach my first '70 Road Runner with a stock HP 440 with 3.23s went 145 with a friend driving and he wanted to finish off the 150mph speedometer and he was voted out. We were tormenting a 454 Suburban.... (More stupid kid $hit)

My current '70 Runner with 3.54s was about 6000rpm @ 140 doing some highway overkill, humiliating a 5 liter Mustang.

Dave, seeing your appreciation for the quiet rural setting makes me wonder where you grew up.

Last edited:
Back