I love reproduction parts #2....

70Tom

Reaction score
So, got my turn signal switch installed. Looked good, worked good. Then as I got the steering wheel on and finally took it for a drive, my joy turned to annoy. Basically, the canceling ring/prong keeps hitting the canceling cams, so whenever I make a turn past each canceling point, it hits whether the turn signal is engaged or not. So essentially, the section that the canceling prong hits is too high (when engaging the turn signal, this section is slightly "lifted", allowing for the canceling prong to click it off as the steering wheel moves back into the straight position.

I just wish these companies would make something right if they're going to do it. Basically, I now have to either cut down the prong (which I don't want to do), or grind down the plastic section on the cam that it's hitting. Problem is, I don't know how far down to grind it. I may have to put some kind of ink on the prong to see how low down it's hitting when the turn signal is not engaged.

Oh well, here's a couple pics.
IMG_7943.JPG
IMG_7946.JPG

Is it possible the mounting surface is bent? This could warp the switch assembly. Don't know - just thinking out loud.

Is it possible the mounting surface is bent? This could warp the switch assembly. Don't know - just thinking out loud.
No, I don't think it is. I need to get the wheel properly centered (it's going in for alignment this week, so it'll get done then) first. Then, once that's straightened, I can more accurately determine what is happening. It didn't hit with the old switch, however.

Thanks for the heads up. This is something that is down on my list to do.
I got the switch from Mopar Mall. It actually took less than 2 weeks to get and I had communication with them, if you can believe that. Haha.

If you laid both on a flat surface, side by side, can you see a difference in height of the prong?

If you laid both on a flat surface, side by side, can you see a difference in height of the prong?
Sadly, I tossed the old one. I should know better. Never throw anything away until everything is working properly.

Is this going to be a problem?

View attachment 156171
Yeah, I noticed that on my pic as well. I don't think it is. For some reason the original turn signal switch put in my car was for a car with cornering lamps, which mine didn't have. Could be related to that. Otherwise, everything currently works correctly.

I know what your saying about repo parts, I got a fuel sending unit for a customers 68 GTX and it wouldn't move while floating unless the tank was bumped or driven and the car hit some bumps. The original one even though it had a open wire would still float like it should. It's all about quality control and caring a little about your customer, which they don't seem to.

Back