I need a crash course on Formals

'69FuryIIIConvertible

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Started looking at one, it needs love, it's like my poor Fury was when I started but it's complete, it's a 2dr, it's a Big Block and it's a neat color combo..............and I can wrangle it up cheap...........oh and it's wearing road wheels.

I need to get a cable for my phone or take my real camera over with me, but it's not bad, it's a New Yorker Brougham 2dr, Silver with a Silver leather (looking) interior, vinyl top (runs to the end of the side window line), and it has A/C, and of course a Big Block, it's rough, but it doesn't scare me, and beside it is the almost mine '69 Impala 327 2dr hardtop, in about the same condition (if I had the space I'd have 3 toys, my Fury, the NYB and the Impala)

So what do I need to look for on the Formals VS the Fuselage that I know so well.

Nick

What year is it? LOL!

1978's have a certain wiper cam issue......but that can be fixed in 30 minutes with 2 parts from a 74-77 car. 1974-1978 H/T roof rail seals are not available...... period. ATC II temperature control can be pain. The bottom of the rear quarters, rear marker light area, areas under or near the vinyl top, area behind the chrome trim below the doors are all rust problem area's.

It really depends what condition the car is in. Really need to see pictures.

I can tell you that I could of bought a rust free turn key NYB from out West with all the money I've spent so far. If this Formal looks like your Fury....you'll be able to buy TWO rust free turn key Western car by time you get it done.

These three things MUST pass my Formals inspections. Even one out of the three is a deal killer for me.
1. Go into the trunk and pull back the carpeting and inspect the "attache case" wells on each side.
2. Look under the rocker panel trim. The rockers will look gorgeous but you take of the trim off and many times there's nothing but rust.
3. The upper cowl/firewall area. Even you, Nick, can't repair that area.

Your roof rail weather stripping will probably be dry and brittle. If it has AutoTemp II, well.... you've been warned. Everything else is just your normal C-body areas that you'll need to look at.

If it has a "silver" interior it's a 78...that interior colour was not available until then. Areas of rust are typical of C bodies...lower quarters are the most susceptible in my opinion, then rockers/ lower front fenders. On Ontario cars, the floors, front especially, jump up to being equal to the quarters...very hard to find an Ontario Formal with in tact floors.

Oh, and the cowl can be fixed...trust me.

T&C resto 025.jpg

None of that stuff would scare me away or stop me if I were interested. Its all the extra wires that I cant handle

At least Formals have no bulkhead connectors...I've never had problems with electrical on Formals. ATC II...now that's another story.

I never had problems with bulkhead connectors or a ballast resistor on any car I had

I'll check it out again and get some photos of it with my digital. I'm thinking it might be a better parts car. I offered $400 (I want the roadwheels)

Nick

If it's like that, yes. But your inner cowl was still solid, right?

Nope, Although this pic is of the engine side, I had equivalent patches inside too. The contortions to get under there...

T&C resto 053.jpg

[QUOTE='69FuryIIIConvertible;88164(I want the roadwheels) /QUOTE]

Didnt you just get a set

Back