I need some information on the Coil in the Dash

63 newyorker

Reaction score
Is the Coil that is used on the dash for the fuel gauge the same as the one used for the engine points.

I have been trouble shooting and rebuilding my dash to get the Temp and fuel gauge to work.
I have 12 volts going to the fuel gauge now without the coil being hooked up and the Temp gauge is now reading. i want to replace the coil so as not to burn up any of the gauges. I have a new coil but it is for the engine. Can i use it in the dash as well?

This is for a 1963 Chrysler New Yorker.

The condenser mounted to the rear of the gas gauge is a noise suppression unit that removes static caused by the points of the CVR opening and closing. This cut down on the static noises generated by the radio. It is not the same unit as a distributor condenser.

Dave

Thank Dave i will put the dash back in now my radio is not working at this time anyways

I won't hurt anything, you will just have a noisy radio if it still works.

Dave

It only affects AM radio, FM is highly resistant to power line noise spikes due to its design. AM = Amplitude Modulation versus FM = Frequency Modulation. Two totally different animals.

It only affects AM radio, FM is highly resistant to power line noise spikes due to its design. AM = Amplitude Modulation versus FM = Frequency Modulation. Two totally different animals.

Very true, but FM car radios in '63?

Dave

Last edited:
Have a picture of it I have some after market ones. See if it is marked on the end .XXX MF

The condenser mounted to the rear of the gas gauge is a noise suppression unit that removes static caused by the points of the CVR opening and closing. This cut down on the static noises generated by the radio. It is not the same unit as a distributor condenser.

Dave
Yes and no... You have noise coming from the secondary ignition (coil, plug wires etc.) along with the alternator not completely rectifying the AC voltage to DC, so you have a little AC "ripple" voltage. And then you have that voltage limiter stuck somewhere in the dash that's going to create some noise too.

What does it affect? In theory, it should only affect the AM radio in an old car. In a new car, it would drive you nuts, probably screwing up the power widows or something like that. I'd still put it back in, purely because it's under the freaking dash and now is the time to just do it.

i have one from an other dash panel i bought i will put in that one. Going to replace the pane later today if the weather holds. Working outside in Texas.

Very true, but FM car radios in '61?

Dave

You're right Dave about the lack of FM in a '63 New Yorker, but that isn't what I really meant anyway. Just pointing out that almost no one listens to AM radio anymore in any car these days. If the OP still uses AM then it would be best to replace the noise suppressor! :thumbsup:

You're right Dave about the lack of FM in a '63 New Yorker, but that isn't what I really meant anyway. Just pointing out that almost no one listens to AM radio anymore in any car these days. If the OP still uses AM then it would be best to replace the noise suppressor! :thumbsup:
I listen to AM all the time.

Back