I planned to be part of a parade today, but...

patrick66

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Weather-guessers said "Not gonna rain til at least 1pm today, no worries!"...must be nice to have a job where you are wrong far more than right and get paid, too! Woke up at 5am to get the Imperial ready for a parade. Washed the car, vacuumed it, and got it pretty. Went to the tire store to check the tire pressures, since my compressor went tits-up, when it started to sprinkle. No biggie. Left the tire store, and it pissed down rain, like driving in a full bathtub! Crap! Thankfully, I hadn't put the top down yet! Now, the right wiper starts to loosen. Exit the highway, apply the brakes, and the booster is hissing loudly from in the car, signaling it intends to die. I stop, fix the wiper, and start back home...hoping to hell I don't have the need to make an emergency stop! I make the ten miles home; the downpour continues unabated. , but it was as dry as can be two blocks from home, go figure, right?

So, now I need to find someone that will rebuild the Imperial booster. This was the first time I'd had the car out for more than a mile in over a year. Once I charged the battery, it started on the first pull, and runs fantastic! Stopping is a very scary proposition right now. Guess I'll mark that as the next thing to do on the convertible, and install a dual-circuit master cylinder, at the same time.

20181006_075636.jpg

20181006_075654.jpg

Last edited:
Your Imperial would certainly make a great addition to ANY parade! Sometimes, though, it seems that things do work out for the best when these things happen.

"Booster Dewey" has been mentioned many times in several forums. Generally good reviews. Just an observation, I've never had to deal with a booster in the past decades, when I could still buy new ones from the dealer. Not sure if the booster is the same as on other similar Chryslers?

'67 was the first year for the dual master cylinders. On the Chryslers, same booster both years so it should be easy, with a little plumbing to add. Not sure about '67 Imperials as it was a new body/platform for them in '67.

Take care,
CBODY67

Beautiful car.

I hate doing brake booster replacement. Will gladly pay a skillful midget mechanic to crawl up under the dash and do that part.

It’s never a mistake to upgrade the brakes on a older car, IMHO. Pays for itself, especially if your drive it more than a few times a year.

"Midget mechanic", but "younger, more limber, and able to work on your head" can help, too.

I'd move the seat all the way back, position myself and put my feet over the back of the seat, acclimatize to that position, and proceed. That was 40 years ago. Wasn't that hard to do, just in a flaky bodily position. Might need to have a chaise lounge at rocker panel level, and work on my side? Can't forget those long, straight socket extensions and a u-joint, either way!

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Back